1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I change to EYFS from Secondary?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by rsc12, Aug 29, 2019.

1. rsc12

rsc12 New commenter

I am a Secondary English teacher who had just completed my RQT when I went on maternity leave for a year. I find myself missing working with young children, and a job has come up for Nursery Teacher at a Primary School local to me, and I can't find any information online that says whether or not I'd have to retrain as a nursery teacher. I have 5 years of nursery nursing experience prior to my PGCE and still know the EYFS pretty well. Is my Secondary QTS and my Nursery Nursing qualification enough to be considered? Any advice would be great!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

of course its enough to be considered. Apply and see what happens

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes it's valid, but you may be up against candidates with a lot more experience than you. But I work with quite a few nursery teachers who have come down from older age groups, it's a learning curve but if you want to do it, then go for it.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You are perfectly well qualified and have good enough experience.
    Give it a go and see.

5. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

I trained in secondary originally. I had no problems moving to teach younger students (initially KS1 and then Reception). Go for it! Good luck.