1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can i change the start of maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sparkely_gem, Aug 20, 2011.

1. sparkely_gem

sparkely_gem New commenter

Hello,
    Im due to go on maternity leave on the 30th September and my baby is due on the 27th October. The lady who is going to cover my maternity leave will start on 2nd of October. I think I could work for longer. Is this possible, particularly as the new teacher has a start date?
    Thanks
    Gem

2. sparkely_gem

sparkely_gem New commenter

Hello,
    Im due to go on maternity leave on the 30th September and my baby is due on the 27th October. The lady who is going to cover my maternity leave will start on 2nd of October. I think I could work for longer. Is this possible, particularly as the new teacher has a start date?
    Thanks
    Gem

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

If you give 28 days notice before the date you were due to start maternity leave, you can change it. That is the statutory position. I am not sure it will make you very popular.
    *Daisy may come by and give more detailed advice, if more generous rules apply to teachers.*

4. You might think you can work longer but I had my first baby three weeks early! Not sure I would want to work much closer to the due date!