1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I change schools during my NQT year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by topcatkerry, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I started my NQT post 3 weeks before the end of the summer term. I'm coping okay but really donh't think the school is the right one for me.

Firstly, everything is really prescriptive, down to the design of the slides I use on powerpoints. I have to follow a strict plan of which poems I can teach and how I teach them. I feel really stifled by this and like I have no autonomy at all. It's making me worry that if I was to try something slightly different it would be classed as 'wrong'and I would be judged negatively.

Secondly, the school, as an Academy, is lacking in structures that I think are of benefit to teachers and pupils. There are no bells, so pupils are constantly watching the clock and so am I. The breaks are rolling, so pupils stand outside classrooms waiting for their friends and running up and down corridors. Also, the classrooms have large windows so people can watch your lessons from the corridor and see what you're doing. This is a nightmare during others classes breaks as pupils stand and distract their friends whilst waiting for them.

The last issue is that there is no real accountability system. If pupils misbehave they are told off or put on report. Detentions are banned and the pupils are well aware that they can be late etc. and there will be no consequences.

I really feel like I'm not the best teacher I can be in this school. I feel stressed all of the time and like I'm being moulded into a robot. I'd really like to change schools sooner than later before my confidence is really eroded. I already feel like I'm failing :(

2. Hi all,

I started my NQT post 3 weeks before the end of the summer term. I'm coping okay but really donh't think the school is the right one for me.

Firstly, everything is really prescriptive, down to the design of the slides I use on powerpoints. I have to follow a strict plan of which poems I can teach and how I teach them. I feel really stifled by this and like I have no autonomy at all. It's making me worry that if I was to try something slightly different it would be classed as 'wrong'and I would be judged negatively.

Secondly, the school, as an Academy, is lacking in structures that I think are of benefit to teachers and pupils. There are no bells, so pupils are constantly watching the clock and so am I. The breaks are rolling, so pupils stand outside classrooms waiting for their friends and running up and down corridors. Also, the classrooms have large windows so people can watch your lessons from the corridor and see what you're doing. This is a nightmare during others classes breaks as pupils stand and distract their friends whilst waiting for them.

The last issue is that there is no real accountability system. If pupils misbehave they are told off or put on report. Detentions are banned and the pupils are well aware that they can be late etc. and there will be no consequences.

I really feel like I'm not the best teacher I can be in this school. I feel stressed all of the time and like I'm being moulded into a robot. I'd really like to change schools sooner than later before my confidence is really eroded. I already feel like I'm failing :(

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Yes, you can. However, would strongly suggest you wait to get another post before handing in your notice. Do not resign expecting to get another job straight off, or rely on supply (there is none!) unless off course you are able to survive on no income for an indefinite period, eg relying on savings/parents, As you're in an academy, check your notice period, it may not be the standard one.

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Also, give your school a chance - you may still not like it after a term but you may find other things that you do like and it's always a balance. Keep looking for other posts but commit yourself to your present school - you could end up somewhere that looks better but isn't, so don't rush into anything.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As the other posters advise be cautious. You need to give time to settle into the school and also be realistic about local opportunities. The majority of NQT vacancies are filled in summer term for the next academic year and you may find there are few induction posts around. In addition supply work is very infrequent this time of year. If you can stick out the year then once you are free of induction requirements move then.

6. I would agree with the above, try to complete it if at all possible as you are really freed up post-induction.
    However it is surprisingly common for induction to be completed in two or even three different schools, so it wouldn't be the end by any means if you did decide to apply.
    As for dictating what slide designs you can use? Insanity. I just hope the same level of care and attention is paid to staff wellbeing.