1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I change my book because this one's boring?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gsm1380, Jun 11, 2011.

1. What do you say?
    "Yes ok go and get another one then"
    ?

2. Usually, yes, although if it's a child who says it a lot, I warn them to pick more carefully or I'll start choosing their books for them!

3. Yes.
    Unless I think they're saying just because they fancy a wander.

4. Is this a school reading book? Our reading books have just been updated so we haven't got so much of a problem now. Before this happened though some of the books were years old and I found them boring to listen to let alone the poor children reading them.

If they ever requested to change it I always said yes and made a note of it in their reading record. I think it shows a development in their reading if they are able to make an opinion like that as long as they have actually read enough of it to make the decsion and can explain why they didn't enjoy it. I know that I have often stopped reading a book half way through as I just haven't enjoyed it and I don't expect my children to be any different.

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

If they can explain to me why they think it's boring and don't like it then yes, I let them change it.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yeps change it every time.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

yes change it we want to encourage a love of books not put them off

8. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Good reply - On none scheme books, I expect them to have given it a fair try - at least 10-15 pages. For those who say it on a regular basis, I do help them choose, usually shorter books and read the first bit with/ to them.They will choose long books because their friend has one. That given I'd rather they change it than struggle with something they might enjoy later on. Harry Potter is a case in point.
    Scheme books, are not that long - and usually solve the problem with shared reading with someone who has enjoyed it, if I think they're trying it on.
    What do you do with children who choose a 'free choice' book and then Mum comes in protesting that he already has that at home and he needs to extend his range of books?

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

ask them if they have ever read a book they enjoyed more than once

10. I really question that, other than with set texts for exams. I used to plod away at things that were highly recommended when I was younger and wish I never had.
    There are now millions of books out there, so the dull but worthy are reall not worth wasting time on. I wish I had spent less time reading fiction and got into factual and philosophical books much earlier than I did, especially biographies.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm torn. On the one hand, I agree that there are kots of boring books out there. On the other, I find it sad that so many children have the attention span of a gnat.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

lots

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

How sad. Youth is surely the time for fiction. By youth I mean anything up to the early sixties, which is the time my dad lost interest in it. I'm losing interest in fiction a bit earlier - late fifties - but can still enjoy a good story if it's gripping enough.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Don't you think that fiction can be more truthful than so-called fact when it comes to delineating the human condition?

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

And isn't a fondness for history something we should look forward to in our later years?

16. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

There was a question part way through about the child who chooses a book they have already read, and then the parent wants to swap it. I think it depends here on the reasons. If the child really wants to read it again, great, as long as they are not just picking this one again and again and again and again. Maybe then they need to be persuaded by the teacher to read the next one in the series or pick something else new but equally appealing.
    Sometimes it can be for other reasons. It might be that the child struggles with the choosing process and opts for the familiar as an easy decision rather than reading the blurb, the covers, and the first couple of pages as part of the process.
    It might be because they are perfectly happy with whatever they are reading from home and a school "own choice" book is superfluous so they choose one they have already read so they don't have to read it. Or they might just choose it so they don't have to read at all knowing that if the teacher asks them any questions about the book they can answer as they have already read it. They can baffle Mum at home with "this is the one the teacher gave me, I've already read it, no need to read tonight."

17. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I had a child come to me because they weren't enjoying a series of books that I love and had recommended. But they'd tried four and enjoyed the first three, so I told them to leave the series, try something else and maybe come back to it next year.
    Poor thing was worried I would be angry they weren't enjoying my favourite books. I was quick to show them I wasn't!
    Personal taste has to come into it. We can't force chidren to read and like all books.

18. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I don't even expect the children to ask if they can change a book (with regards to our class books, anyway). If they're not interested, why would I force them to persevere? All that would do is create negative associations with reading.
    If my local library asked me to explain why I was returning a book unfinished, I'd stop using the library pretty quickly.

19. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

There's a teacher in our staff room that herself reads books in this order -always!!
    A book of her choice that she enjoys
    A children's book
    A book that she feels she 'ought' to read that will 'improve' her

Furthermore she will NEVER abandon one midway, even if she loathes it because that's not the 'right' thing to do!
    Must ask her if she lets her kids change theirs....somehow I think I already know the answer!