1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I change Jobs during NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Cit-cat, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Cit-cat

Cit-cat New commenter

Hey guys,

I started my job two weeks ago and right from day one I felt like I'd made a huge mistake. The school isn't bad, I just feel like I am not the right fit for it and already my confidence has been hugely impacted. I have suffered with my mental health in the past and since starting my anxiety has been slowly getting worse to the point where I've started having panic attacks again.

I know that NQT year is hard, so I don't want to give up this early. But I feel that if it's actually impacting my mental health to this extend I need to act now before I get in too deep.

Now its Easter I'm really contemplating looking for a new role to start in September while the jobs are still available. However, I think my school has already started the NQT process so I'm now worried I'm tied to this school until I complete my NQT year. Is this the case?

I don't want to have to give up on teaching completely because of one bad school experience. But I honestly don't think my silly brain can cope with this mental stress and unrest for 15 months.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You are NOT tied to this school, so don't worry.

Think carefully - you've only been there a couple of weeks - is the situation one which will improve (Y10-13 will be going on study leave soon), or one you can be supported through? If not, and it is going to affect your mental health, then be honest and ask to leave.

If you leave without completing a term they'll just complete an interim report. You'll still have 3 terms remaining on your NQT year.

Cit-cat likes this.
  3. Cit-cat

Cit-cat New commenter

Thank you blueskydreaming. Hopefully I can power through the year then find something more suitable for NQT+1. But its good to know the option is there if I need it.

blueskydreaming likes this.