1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I change from primary teacher to TA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by craftyangel, Apr 9, 2012.

1. It's a long story but I'm an NQT and have decided that being a teacher is just not working for me. I would like a career change but to still work in schools. I know the salary of a TA is much smaller than what I'm getting as an NQT but I have been thinking about doing two part-time jobs, lab technician being a possible option and a TA. Two days doing one job and three days doing the other.
    Would this idea work? Can a qualified teacher work as a TA, it may work on paper but in practice is it a good idea?
    Thanks.

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Lots do! You will have to be respectful of the teacher, but as long as you are ok with being asked to do things, you will be fine. Also, remember they are hard to find and you will be up against experienced TAs.Though you may find it difficult to get two days or three days. Good Luck.!

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I agree with hubcap. It is certainly possible to become a TA from a teacher - but in my LEA, it is extremely rare to see a TA job that is 2 or 3 days a week. However, at my school, all TAs are taken on initially for mornings only, so it would be possible to do another job in the afternoon.