1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I borrow the super punctuation skills of an English teacher, please?

Discussion in 'English' started by CaptGrimesRetd, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Not much at all, Penny. It was mainly Germanic. Historians have been surprised how few words survived from old British and from the Roman occupation into pre-Norman-invasion English. Its grammatical structure was also much as it still is in German now.
    U need to do more research before u start writing your thesis, and to develop a bit more dispassionate objectivity too.

2. Never existed.
    Of course it was germanic: nobody disputes that. It was, however, very different to the mainland Germanic languages, even then. The effects of Saxons, Angles, Jutes and Vikings were to import many words into what became Anglo-saxon, or Old English. The legacy of this can be seen today in the different ways English is spoken in places such as Carlisle and Norfolk. Interestingly, of course, the Vikings settled in Northern France. These Norsemen became the Normans. It really is fascinating.
    If you really want to learn, I would suggest a good place to start is Melvyn Bragg´s History of English. Once you have grasped the basics, I can point you in the direction of hundreds of really good texts.
    Not what I´m referring to with the Latin, actually, masha...learn a bit about the early church, well before the Norman Conquest, please.
    Now, back to your spelling reform proposals. The way that you spell many words, using your own phonic rules, simply does not match the sounds in many parts of the UK, or indeed in Nigeria, Malta, New Zealand, Pakistan or any of the many and varied locations where English is spoken. For example, being from the North, I pronounce from as ´frum´, but I don´t expect to have to change the spelling of the word to match my accent. In the same way, when I see your name, I think of the verb to mash, as in what you do to potatoes, but I note that you pronounce it marsha.
    There is an excellent link on the other thread where you pasted more of your lists, which actually helps people to learn to read. Have a look at it, It really is very good indeed.