1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I be forced to go on residential trip?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ezzie, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Only a few of my pupils are going on a residential trip in a few weeks. I have a lot of stressful stuff going on at home right now and can't really leave it and go away for a week. Are we obliged to go? What would the implications be if I refused? Thanks.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You can't be obliged to go.

If you've previously said you would, it's a bit more difficult, as presumably things have now been organised on that basis. But it sounds as if you have good reasons why you can't now go, so you should ask whether someone else can be found. If you were taken ill, they would either have to find someone else or cancel.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If the majority of the pupils going are not yours i dont see why you have to go.unless its to balance up say men/women teachers.

Either way you need to see your head pronto and explain.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Go and speak to someone about it ASAP. I agree with Frustum, you can't be forced to go on a residential. If though you have previously said yes and now you are saying no, it could get a little awkward. That is why you have to get this sorted now. Either way, I don't see the fact that many of your pupils are are/not going as relevant to the outcome in any scenario.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not sure about academies but if you are in an LEA school you cannot be obliged to go on an out of hours trip. Explain to the person organising. If they get uppity involve your union.