1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I be forced to be acting DHT?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nomad, Feb 10, 2011.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As an AHT you are paid on the Leadership Scale. Therefore, you are paid to lead. Whether this is as an AHT or as an Acting DHT, you have presumably accepted and been given that responsibility.
    110% has nothing to do with it. Try 100%. Nobody will ask for more.
    To be honest, if you are not prepared to step into the breech when the DHT takes maternity leave, then I suggest that you step down from any leadership responsibility and go back to being a classroom teacher.

2. ditto Nomad

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You may have garnered fromn my previous post that I am not overflowing with sympathy.
    Professionally, on your own
    More fool them, IMO.
    No, you are not. You are paid on the Leadership Scale. You are expected to lead. I suggest you do it.
    Do you really think that no one - NO ONE - covered your responsibilities while you enjoyed the benefits of maternity leave? Of course they did. Either covering up or down
    Not in my opinion. To be honest, you are!
    Think yourself lucky you are not a member of mys staff! I do not treat ANY staff like "trash", but I do expect them to conduct themselves professionally and in accordance with their own professional standards.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Covering a DHT's maternity leave with an 'external' cover teacher? I've never heard of it and can't see where you'd find a suitable person.
    As Nomad says, such cover has to be done internally, as yours was when you were on maternity leave. People paid on the Leadership spine really are expected to step up and lead when the occasion or situation demands.

5. No you are not being bullied. Your HT should have got her act together a bit more, BUT as an AHT you should be prepared to take on this role, for what is a relatively short period of time. Just how much more are you likely to be asked to commit to in terms of time? Probably not that much. In my opinion, a far better approach from yourself would have been to say "Delighted, love to do it. It's going to be great CPD etc. Can we discuss just what you would like me to do? But I would ask you to bear in mind I have just come off Maternity leave. But you know I will give 100%"

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

When I was on maternity leave as a deputy, my class was covered by an NQT but my roles and responsibilities were covered by the head and the person on a TLR. They got no additional pay, they did not get the title of "acting deputy", they did however, get a wealth of management experience and when I left they were appointed as deputy amongst a very strong field of candidates partly because they had more management experience and had proved themselves.

You've just taken a maternity leave yourself and your colleagues have covered for you, it's time to return the favour.

7. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

I think this post should be a warning to all those staff who post on these forums who want leadership posts and are keen to be AHT - but who would run a mile if forced to do any thing that makes them directly accountable, or who have only the haziest understanding of what is involved. Always remember once you are a leader or even a deputy of deprt you can be expected to step up and complaining about this afterwards won't work.
    You feel out of your depth, but hopefully it will be a good learning experience for you. See it as a compliment, they wouldn't ask you to do it if you didn't have the skills needed. Good Luck and all best, [​IMG]

8. I will probably get shot down in flames for this but here goes...
    From reading the OP it seems to me the issue is with the timing rather than the additional responsibility. 9 months is a long time to be away from school and I remember how overwhelming it is to return from maternity leave to find so much has changed that it feels impossible to ever catch up.
    However, MsBee, the DHT isn't leaving for another two months by which time, I promise, you will have caught up on everything you need to know, accepted that there are things you will not know about (and don't need to) and very probably feel like you've never been away! You'll be ready, willing and able to smile sweetly and take the extra responsibility and pay. It's only a relatively short term measure and think of the things you could use the additonal money for - save for a family holiday to spend some quality time together or days out that would normally be a luxury.
    Good luck, working full time and motherhood can go together, honestly!

9. Yup, sorry - as a former Deputy Manager in healthcare I was expected to act up (without additional pay!) whenever my manager was off - be it sickness or holiday. There was no title change, nothing at all, just 'X is off for y weeks; you're running the home. Move in.' - What? Yes, I don't drive and regulations call for a management presence within calling distance, so I had to live in a Nursing Home. Good thing I was single and celibate at the time.

And if anyone can give something (100 + x)% then, yes - logic dictates that 199% was not being given in the first place.

10. Erratum: for 199% above read 100%

11. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

Sorry OP, I agree with Nomad etc. You should be geared up for this opportunity. Your HT was naive in the first place to promise anything else i.e. options. These are financially hard times and as you are leadership it is expected that you step up, baby or no baby.

12. FabulousPoodle

FabulousPoodle New commenter

The fact that you had scruples about accepting a role that you could not commit 110% to, shows that you have high principles about 'taking the money and not doing the job'. However, as the old saying goes, 'Some are born great and some have greatness thrust upon them'. So, give it your best shot and take the money! (Even if your best shot, given your circumstances, falls short of 100%!)