1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I be forced to be acting DHT???

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by flowerpot, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Do you have a job description or list of responsibilities on file? If so I'm fairly sure she cannot force you to do anything above and beyond this that you are not already paid to do. If she offers you the money to do the extra and you refuse the responsibility/pay, again I am sure she cannot make you take it.
    Well, this is what I would have thought... but then again, some people behave as if they are a law unto themselves!
    Could HR help with this? (I dont know, I'm only wondering)
    *Much sympathy*
    X

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I can't see how the HT can appoint someone external to take on these responsibilites. I'd have thought that if you're paid on the leadership scale you step in and lead when it's necessary to do so. When my DHT broke his leg in a skiing accident and was off for months the AHT steppedup - isn't that normal practice?

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Surely you can't be forced to do a job you don't want? Refuse the pay increase, politely, and what can the HT do?
    A DHT is going to be physically absent, so presumably there are teaching hours to cover anyway, so another body is needed. And you say you have two other SLT members...maybe one of them would like to be Acting DHT?
    Mark