1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I be a TA with a PGCE?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Miss_Bull, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Hi there,

I've just completed my PGCE and am considering applying for a Teaching Assistant role to gain more experience working in a school (as I've been unable to secure a teaching job for September as I hoped) most TA jobs require NVQs in different levels - would I need to have this training or could I apply for a TA position with a PGCE (with QTS)?

Has anyone done this themselves or could anyone possibly give me some advice?

TIA x

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Miss_Bull, sorry you haven't been able to secure a teaching post. There is no reason why you can't apply for a TA role with your QTS - I think you would have a very good chance of getting one. I have been part of many recruitment/interviewing teams for TAs over the years and we have always considered qualified teachers who apply. People have many different reasons for needing or wanting a TA role these days, rather than a teaching post. You would need to give a very brief explanation (one or two sentences) about why you are applying for a TA role, but it's definitely worth a try.
    Other possibilities would be a HLTA role, which you may well be considered for and would pay more, or supply teaching - but I think either of these may prove very challenging if you only have your placement experience in schools so far.
    Don't give up completely with the teaching job applications - keep looking. There are always reasons why a few people can't take up their new role, or decide very early on that it's not for them.
    Best of luck!

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Plenty of TAs have PGCEs. Where I am, two of us have PGCEs, out of six TAs.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Of course you can. The school's biggest worry will be that you will take off as soon as you manage to find a teaching post, but they'll be probably be prepared to put up with that risk if they get an overqualified TA in the meantime.

Watch that you are not exploited - if they ask you to step up to cover classes and save them getting supply in, then they should pay you more for those hours. (I had a friend who did this - she said her pay was very complicated, as they paid her supply for those hours but then had to subtract off the TA pay for those hours.)

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Occasional commenter

yes of course, many schools specify they want TAs with PGCEs

The only problem is that teachers are walking out in droves, and many are becoming TAs, so the competition can be pretty fierce, far ore so than for teaching positions

6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Have you considered doing supply work? If criteria are met then supply work does count towards your NQT year. I would personally try to get the NQT year completed as soon as possible. You could even look for an NQT position that starts in January.