1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I be a Head, Deputy or Assistant Head at Secondary School?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by vinaythawait, Mar 3, 2011.

1. vinaythawait

vinaythawait New commenter

Dear Colleagues
    Please could someone suggest me from their own experience as to if I am eligible to be a Head, Deputy or Assistant Head at any Secondary School in England. I qualified as a secondary teacher of Science, Physics and ICT. After 5 years of teaching and ICT Coordinator (MSP9 +2 management points) in a 11-18 secondary school I moved to work for a Local Authority to be a KS3 ICT Consultant for the National Strategy. My journey continued from one LA to another LA as the School Improvement Coordinator / Adviser for ICT. Between the 2 LA jobs I was seconded as an Assistant Headteacher Associate and worked intensively with 3 National Challenge schools (1 as an assistant headteacher associate) and 2 Ofsted category 4 schools (1 as an assistant headteacher associate). I worked tirelessly to support improvements and to raise standards. During this period I passed NPQH qualification with a hope to be in a school s a head within 3-5 years. My job took a U-turn when I move in 2009 to work in the private sector as the BSF Bid Lead with one of the top BSF ICT provider company. My role was focused nationally working with schools and LA's attempting to find out their ICT solution provider where I had a good success. Once the Coalition Government declaration on termination of the BSF programme came in effect, my role was changed in the company to work as the Education Transformation Manager / Education Consultant with schools and LA's where the company already has BSF contract. I now want to go back in the school with my vast amount of experiences from working in the private and public sectors as I feel I have the abilities, skills and experiences to lead a school either as a headteacher or a deputy head supporting a headteacher with an interest to be the head in 2-3 years. I have applied for the deputy head teacher’s role to at-least 10-15 secondary schools and academies across the country but had no luck in getting even short listed. This is very frustrating as I know I can make the difference at school level being worked for so long in the education sector at different levels building my experiences in improving and sustaining standards and achievements for all at school level.Please could you advise or share your own experience that may help me to get back in school working at the senior leadership level to fulfil my dreams of passing on my experiences and expertise with students and staff at all level to make a difference in the life chances of pupil’s and young adults?Thanks. Vinay

2. vinaythawait

Dear Colleagues
    Please could someone suggest me from their own experience as to if I am eligible to be a Head, Deputy or Assistant Head at any Secondary School in England. I qualified as a secondary teacher of Science, Physics and ICT. After 5 years of teaching and ICT Coordinator (MSP9 +2 management points) in a 11-18 secondary school I moved to work for a Local Authority to be a KS3 ICT Consultant for the National Strategy. My journey continued from one LA to another LA as the School Improvement Coordinator / Adviser for ICT. Between the 2 LA jobs I was seconded as an Assistant Headteacher Associate and worked intensively with 3 National Challenge schools (1 as an assistant headteacher associate) and 2 Ofsted category 4 schools (1 as an assistant headteacher associate). I worked tirelessly to support improvements and to raise standards. During this period I passed NPQH qualification with a hope to be in a school s a head within 3-5 years. My job took a U-turn when I move in 2009 to work in the private sector as the BSF Bid Lead with one of the top BSF ICT provider company. My role was focused nationally working with schools and LA's attempting to find out their ICT solution provider where I had a good success. Once the Coalition Government declaration on termination of the BSF programme came in effect, my role was changed in the company to work as the Education Transformation Manager / Education Consultant with schools and LA's where the company already has BSF contract. I now want to go back in the school with my vast amount of experiences from working in the private and public sectors as I feel I have the abilities, skills and experiences to lead a school either as a headteacher or a deputy head supporting a headteacher with an interest to be the head in 2-3 years. I have applied for the deputy head teacher’s role to at-least 10-15 secondary schools and academies across the country but had no luck in getting even short listed. This is very frustrating as I know I can make the difference at school level being worked for so long in the education sector at different levels building my experiences in improving and sustaining standards and achievements for all at school level.Please could you advise or share your own experience that may help me to get back in school working at the senior leadership level to fulfil my dreams of passing on my experiences and expertise with students and staff at all level to make a difference in the life chances of pupil’s and young adults?Thanks. Vinay

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The only answer to this without meeting you is that you are worth, both in terms of salary and seniority, what someone will hire you for. Keep applying for positions you feel you have experience enough to rise to.

4. I know of managers in schools that have worked in the LA for some years before moving back into schools. With varying degrees of success. Good luck!

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If you want an honest answer, rather than a flattering one:
    I'd have to see more details than the information you have included above. Only when reviewing a full Application Form would the school be able to see your strengths AND weaknesses. The schools you are applying to will have a set of standards they're looking for when shortlisting. It could be something on your AF you're missing; perhaps a lack of teaching experience, essential in my mind for a good DHT/HT. On the otherhand, it could be that you tick all the boxes but better / more experiences folk are applying for the same posts and you need to simply keep applying or choose areas (e.g.certain inner city schools) where there will be fewer applicants.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That would be my answer. I'd add that you'd be better advised to stick to AHT applications, since I think it may br your lack of sufficient recent classroom experience that may be a major issue.
    You ask in your OP if you can be a headteacher - not until you've been a deputy, to be honest!

7. vinaythawait

Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep goin on until I get success.

8. vinaythawait

Thanks. Good sugegstions to take on board to find a colleague or previous head who will be aboe to look into my weaknesses and strengths. In terms of teaching experience I have many years in schools either working as a class teacher, senior leader or local authority consultant. I was not the consultant who just tell school what to do and do it for them but I have worked with school and teachers in the classrooms until 2009. Yes I admit when I moved to work in the private sector for BSF education consultant role in June 2009, I have not been in the classroom since then as there was no opportunity.
    I might look into starting back from AHT and build my career towards headteacher as I fully understand and I don't want to be a Head before becoming a DHT.
    Thanks EVERYONE.
    Regards

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not just about having been in schools, however - in an AHT or DHT, heads are looking for someone with recent, substantial classroom and school leadership experience. This may be what is stopping you from getting shortlisted.