1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I attend my Dad's wedding?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shoesies, Jun 29, 2011.

1. My dad (who emigrated to another country about 6 years ago) has just rang to say he is getting married. Unfortunately the lovely oaf has booked it on a Friday in another country. Is it possible for me to attend or do I have to miss it?

2. Check your contract/school policy. You will probably need to write to the governors requesting the time.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Can't he do it during the summer holiday?

4. Oh believe me I gave him a stern talking to as I congratulated him. It's something about when they can get time off to go to another country to get married there as it is the equivalent to english marriage in the eyes of the law (it went over my head)

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Now I'm confused - don't they do marriage in his country?

6. Write to governors requesting leave of absence

Expect it to be unpaid

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

bored so bumping baubles bar off the page

8. Cheers lurcio .Now those of us who live on page two have got to put up with the bloody thing .

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

You are, and always shall be, Page Three material to me Bauble

10. I'll have someone from the bar bring you a box of tissues. :¬))

11. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

murky buckets

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Do you really want to? I found my dad's wedding a trial.

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

My son and daughter attended mine. Daughter was 15 and son 18.
    I think they quite enjoyed it!

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

All anyone here can do is speculate, or tell you about how someone they know was given a fortnight off on full pay to attend their butcher's daughter's wedding in Australia.
    You have to ask the head first - do not under any circumstances write directly to the governors, as you run the risk of seriously pissing the head off and you need his/her support. Moreover, it may be a school where the head isn't under the governing body's thumb on such matters and is therefore able to agree - or not. In both my headships I've always had the say on such issues, because it's an operational matter, though subject to a policy the governors had agreed.

15. Thanks for your replies.... my head was great and granted the absence without involving governors.... and in reply to the question I don't really want to go but my dad would never forgive me

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Best of luck Shoesies. i found my dad's wedding very distressing....here's hoping that you ahve a better time of it. xxxx