1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I attend interviews when off with WRS?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by magpie5, Jun 12, 2019.

1. magpie5

magpie5 New commenter

I’m coming to the end of a fixed term contract (23rd July).
    This week I have been signed off with stress and this is likely to be until the contract expires.
    Can I attend interviews in this time? The stress is directly to do with the environment I am working in and would not translate to another school.

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No one can stop you, but in order to keep things running smoothly, and avoid any potential problems, you should seek the consent of your line manager/HT. (Don’t mean to appear unkind, but if you’re currently signed off, they’ll probably be glad that you might leave anyway, so they can stop paying you and find a replacement.)

Strongly advise that you don’t attempt to conceal that fact that you’re currently signed off from any interview panel.

3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I agree with Pomza re informing your SLT because you are currently not fit to work due to WRS, so your going to an interview can be seen to be contradicting this. Try and get your doctor to put something on the lines of release from this contract will be beneficial to your health via having a chat with them and stating this.

If there are no questions asked about your health, don't mention it, in other words don't wave a red flag. You can not be accused of not stating your were ill, but if you are asked directly, you must tell the truth.

Good luck and I hope you get well soon and find the ideal job for you.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Except they are not allowed to ask you before appointment, unless they are for specific reasons, such as to ascertain whether adjustments need to be made for somebody with a disability.

5. catbefriender

Problem is, schools throw a lot of the rules, guidances and recommendations out of the window. I still see application forms for schools were they are asking

Do you have a disability?
    What is it?
    How long have you been off work with it etc?

All of which have been proved unlawful since 2010 and which can open them up to claims of disability discrimination. The usual LEA guidance, when LEAs had the power to give guidance was, to ask

Do you have a disability?
    And to provide the job applicant with the following options
    Yes, No, Prefer not to disclose.
    And then if Yes, what support may you need etc.

This system is much fairer, but not common. Usually it's 'Do you have a disability?' Tick Yes/No.

agathamorse and BYusuf like this.
  6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Ask your union because I think legally being unfit for work means you are unfit for any work related activity which could include interviews.

But hopefully I am wrong.

7. marmitemate

marmitemate New commenter

I agree with les25paul. I think if you attend an interview then you have to go back to work. The idea being if your fit enough to attend an interview, then.... But could be wrong

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, and other employers. do the same. We really need our unions to advertise these rules to their members and then support people in discrimination claims. If that were to happen, schools would have to change their practice.

9. catbefriender

When schools were under LEA, I would complain to the Jobcentre Disability Officer, my local union and the LEA and in some circumstances, the school were told they had to change their application forms immediately to remove all the disability specific information and to offer the option of yes/no/prefer not to say and also, if yes, what support would you need. Nothing else. Prospective employers do not need to know what the applicant has only to provide for their needs under the fair recruitment practices. However, when I checked later, schools had not changed their application forms. Back in the day, I managed to get one school to lose its right to advertise on the council's website, but that was in the pre-MAT days.

agathamorse and Piranha like this.