1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I ask to move from UPS3 to UPS2?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lars, Mar 21, 2016.

1. lars

lars New commenter

This sounds like utter madness I know.... However, I am struggling to provide evidence of a 'substantial and sustained' contribution to the wider school. For the £30 a month extra it just doesn't seem worth it!! And trying to find opportunities for going above and beyond my normal paid role which don't step on others' toes is really tricky - there are huge numbers of UPS3 teachers in my school. Should add - I more than meet the criteria for the rest of UPS3, just not this bit.

For context; I work part time in a non-core/non-ebacc subject in an academy (not MAT) but we still enjoy STPCD conditions at the moment.

Am I mad to even consider this?? I only got to UPS 3 this academic year.

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You could ask - but the cynic in me says they may take your request as a personal admission of failure and then you may get learning walked a little more! If you more than meet the criteria elsewhere, then keep schtum!

wanet, Compassman and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

If you were moved to UPS this year, that was because you met the criteria. So just carry on doing what you're doing and you'll still meet the criteria. If SLT expect more of you, they'll soon tell you.

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Unless you've let things go or changed radically since you got it then just hang on to it.

If you got it then you were making a substantial contribution and if you haven't dropped the ball then you've sustained it!

Compassman likes this.
  5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I suspect it's a case of SLT wanting more from their UPS teachers and bullying them into doing extra. In addition, UPS does not mean you have to do more or take on extra responsibilities.

grumpydogwoman and 576 like this.
  6. 576

576 Established commenter

This needs to be stressed.
    The threshold was introduced as a way to acknowledge the efforts of a classroom teacher who wasn't climbing the career ladder. It is not an excuse for management to expect any more from you than that you are a very good teacher.

From ATL

Threshold
    Threshold assessment is intended to reward good teachers who want to remain in the classroom.

Teachers who 'cross the threshold' are promoted to point one of a three-point upper pay scale (worth over £2,500 more than the top point of the main pay scale). Once threshold accreditation is awarded, it is permanent for as long as you remain at that school.

install, Compassman, chelsea2 and 2 others like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If the knives are out for the UPS3s there, for cost-savings, then you are setting yourself up as an easy target for practice on with this admission of 'failure'

install and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. lars

lars New commenter

Thank you for your advice. I certainly haven't dropped the ball, in fact have had to put in more effort than usual!

Good point about making myself a target - have got this far by quietly getting on with it :)

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Definitely don't ask to move back down.
    Just write the same things in the box this year that you wrote last year.
    No-one will read it properly.
    No-one will remember it from last year.

No-one should be asking you to provide evidence to keep the pay point you have.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. Compassman

Some would call it bullying but I could not possibly comment!

11. Compassman

This is evidence that they are trying to get more and more value for money. Been there done that.

12. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Has anyone actually raised this issue with you or is this you being over-critical of yourself? If it's the former, then I would definitely not ask to move down, then offer information on how you can meet the criteria. If it's the latter, then stop beating yourself up as I'm sure you're doing more than you think you are to meet it.