1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I ask to change year group before completing induction?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by skygoby, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I mentioned this issue in a reply to
    another post today but wanted to ask explicitly.

Background: I began my NQT year
    in January in reception. I'm not early years trained. I accepted the job because I desperately wanted to start
    teaching, it seemed a nice school and I was promised additional support
    to help with foundation stage. So I do take responsibility.
    However, the school seems to be having issues and support has been very
    minimal.

I have to admit I'm not enjoying
    it. I’m finding
    it a huge struggle getting into the curriculum, setting, planning etc.

Now I
    realise 6 weeks is a very short time. A
    lot of people will think I'm mad and haven't even given it a chance yet. I'm not asking this question because I've made a decision already. I simply want to know where I stand so that I can rest my mind and get on with things either way. I hope that makes sense.

I certainly don't hate every
    minute of it, some things about reception I like and I wouldn't
    be mortified if I had to carry on in September. BUT... I also know when something doesn't feel right and I just don’t feel suited to this age group. I really
    miss ks2, I look back at my placements in KS2 as when I really LOVED teaching and dream about being able to go back there! I
    know if that was possible, I would flourish rather than constantly feel
    like a
    failure and not being able to be myself.

Issues are-

• Are people generally allowed to change year groups during induction? I will of course be only 2 thirds through in September. I know it does happen, as some people even change schools, but do heads generally want to avoid it?
    • Do all schools consider moving staff around or
      ask teachers what they would like to do? I know some schools give out
      evaluation forms or have short meetings, but not sure if all schools do,
      or if NQTs are included.
    • This one is not easy to answer as it's mainly opinion - but do people think it would show me in a negative light to ask the head about this? Would it sound like I don't appreciate my job or my class, or that I'm no good at teaching?

Anyway, please people don't hit me with a torrent of
    "you've not even given it a chance", "just be happy you have a job"
    etc. I know it's very early days and I am grateful to be teaching at all. I just want to know where I stand.

2. I mentioned this issue in a reply to
    another post today but wanted to ask explicitly.

Background: I began my NQT year
    in January in reception. I'm not early years trained. I accepted the job because I desperately wanted to start
    teaching, it seemed a nice school and I was promised additional support
    to help with foundation stage. So I do take responsibility.
    However, the school seems to be having issues and support has been very
    minimal.

I have to admit I'm not enjoying
    it. I’m finding
    it a huge struggle getting into the curriculum, setting, planning etc.

Now I
    realise 6 weeks is a very short time. A
    lot of people will think I'm mad and haven't even given it a chance yet. I'm not asking this question because I've made a decision already. I simply want to know where I stand so that I can rest my mind and get on with things either way. I hope that makes sense.

I certainly don't hate every
    minute of it, some things about reception I like and I wouldn't
    be mortified if I had to carry on in September. BUT... I also know when something doesn't feel right and I just don’t feel suited to this age group. I really
    miss ks2, I look back at my placements in KS2 as when I really LOVED teaching and dream about being able to go back there! I
    know if that was possible, I would flourish rather than constantly feel
    like a
    failure and not being able to be myself.

Issues are-

• Are people generally allowed to change year groups during induction? I will of course be only 2 thirds through in September. I know it does happen, as some people even change schools, but do heads generally want to avoid it?
    • Do all schools consider moving staff around or
      ask teachers what they would like to do? I know some schools give out
      evaluation forms or have short meetings, but not sure if all schools do,
      or if NQTs are included.
    • This one is not easy to answer as it's mainly opinion - but do people think it would show me in a negative light to ask the head about this? Would it sound like I don't appreciate my job or my class, or that I'm no good at teaching?

Anyway, please people don't hit me with a torrent of
    "you've not even given it a chance", "just be happy you have a job"
    etc. I know it's very early days and I am grateful to be teaching at all. I just want to know where I stand.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes and it is no problem at all. None of the standards are year group specific, you can meet them in any year from nursery to year 6, or even secondary if you fancy it.
    Most consider staff wants, but cannot always accommodate them. You need to speak to your HT as soon as you can and let them know that you love the school and want to stay, but would really, really like to move out of FS and in to KS2.
    No, how on earth will your HT know if you don't tell them? HTs have a zillion things to think about, the cannot possibly remember a conversation on your appointment when you may have mentioned in passing that you prefer KS2. You need to tell them and keep on telling them. Doesn't mean you'll get what you want, but hey at least they will know.

I think you are worrying more than you need to. Just nip in and have a chat with your HT one day early after half term and let them know how you feel.

4. You have some good advice above,but just to reinforce, you can swap years during induction. Where you end up teaching will be down to the Head but you must make your preferences known otherwise they will assume that all is well and you are Ok teaching where you are.
    James

5. Thank you both, your advice is very encouraging.
    I worry about bothering my busy head teacher with this, but as you point out, he can't read my mind and can't tell how I'm feeling!
    I also worry about sounding as if I'm giving up far too soon and that my head might think I have a quitting-type attitude. That's not true - I just don't feel like a foundation stage teacher and don't want to be stuck there for another whole year after this if at all possible. A year feels a long time when not particularly happy! So if I put it in a positive way, saying I just want to make my preferences known, hopefully it will be ok... of course in such a small school I doubt anything will come of it anyway, it seems like no one is interested in foundation stage!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I spent all of last year begging to move to KS1...think I got my way just to shut me up. I would have cried (for the second July in a row) if I had had to stay there another year. People do have preferences, it is normal! Stop worrying about it.

You never know, there might just be a KS1 teacher who wants to move to FS and a KS2 teacher who wants to move to KS1 allowing you to slot into KS2. Your poor HT might be fretting about how to ask you to move when you have worked so hard to learn FS this year.

It isn't 'bothering' your HT, it is being normal. Go and have a chat as soon as you can, it won't be as bad as yout hink.