1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Can I ask? Job application question!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Middlemarch, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've always shortlisted from the aspplication form and statement - I don't need or want a 'covering letter' and fail to see how it can be of more use than measuring each applicant against the jd and person spec.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

*application (not sure what an 'aspplication' form is!)

3. The best way to apply in my opinion is to copy the person spec into MS Word then under each heading describe how you fulfill the criteria
    Also a letter to head briefly describing your philosophy and something about yourself-no more than A4-although they rarely get read, just done out of courtesy.
    Good luck

4. The personal statement and letter of application are the same thing - where you get to explain how your experiences and skills match each aspect of the Personal Specification. A brief 'covering letter' (literally 2-3 lines) submitting your application is the norm but these aren't part of the application - some people think they have to include lots of details about themselves in this and you don't.

Many application forms have space for the personal statement within the form. However, it is fine to simply type 'see attached letter' and then provide a typed letter.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to address how you meet the person spec for THAT school - DON'T just create a standard letter and change the name of the school each time. Show that you meet the person spec (give concrete examples from your experience/ teaching practices), make reference to information you've gleaned from your school visit and start explain why you want THAT job and not just any job. Finally show some 'spark' (especially if you're an NQT where you don't have masses of experience to draw on) - chances are they'll be over 100 applicants and you ne to stand out. That is what a panel is looking for. Good luck.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

You will get conflicting advice because people judging applications work in different ways.

6. We use a grid with all the specs across the top and then tick who has elaborated on that aspect. The people with the most ticks, get the interview.

We always ask for a good level of communication, so any with hideous spelling mistakes, i for I, bad grammar, text speak or who forget to change the name of the school from their previous application are binned immediately. You would be amazed how many teachers cannot string together a grammatically correct sentence or whose spelling is appalling.