1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I ask for reduced hours?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by maud1901, Mar 27, 2016.

1. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Having been off ill with stress for 6 months over a year ago I find myself in a similar position (away from school with stress) again due to Ofsted pressures. Can I ask for reduced hours? I currently work full time.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Course you can! You can always ask.

Ask with a plan of how it would benefit school.

I'd work these days and take these groups and the other days (depends what sector) the pupils/students would be doing x, y and z.

Map it out so it looks as if you've really thought it through and it's not the last gasp of a drowning woman. But definitely ask!

Don't ask and you won't get. Just go prepared.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Just one thing - I have been put on a standards setting due to Ofsted observations (having had no less than 'good' for the past 27 years). Would the standards setting apply if I was able to return part time?

Any comments gratefully received.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You would have to ask your school, but I should imagine that the same conditions might apply.

But your school can tell you for sure.