1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I ask a question? Will I be able to cope?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by carettam, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have to say this is a tough decision. I have friends who are young parents and work, and they already feel like they are missing out on their childs early development. Other parents seem to find this less of an issue. Doing teacher training while your baby is still so young is a tough choice and only you can make that choice. It sounds like you have a supportive family so it could work for you.
    Regarding PGCE and GTP, I am doing PGCE but applied to both. The GTP has a greater teaching workload from the outset, while the PGCE is a more gentle introduction. Both are hectic, balancing assignments, reading, lesson planning, etc. Expect to be working some evenings and parts of weekends, and managing your time effectively. Another consideration I guess is cost, with the GTP looking better from that point of view as you will get a wage.
    I am absolutely loving my PGCE,and hopefully you will love it too. I am 27 so don't feel pressured to rushing in this year, you are still plenty young. There are people in their 40s on my course and I would guess only about half on my course are 22 fresh out of undergrad.
    As to fitting in friends, family and house work,I still take a day off at the weekend and have a couple of evenings during the week to spend quality time with my husband. It is the housework which usually slides. I can live with slightly dustier cupboards.
    Another option, you might want to look into part-time PGCEs? This would give you more time to study and spend time with your child?
    Best of luck. You're enthusiasm for teaching really shows.

2. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

I am in term 1 of a primary SCITT (like PGCE), and have 2 children, age 4 and 6 both at school FT now. It is tough. I am an hours drive from college and schools I am based at. Apart from my husband, we have no family in the area which is tough (kids go to after school club). It is relentless, and the guilt has been tough, especially missing youngest start school. However, I am making it up where I can eg in school hols, and yes I am buying them guilt presents / treats to make up for it . My kids have coped well.
    Kids are adaptable and resilient: good child care will ensure this is smooth and successful.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

3. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

I am on a PGCE - you will get sick of people telling you how much work it is (which it is) but as long as you are organised you will cope. My friend is 40something with a 9 year old and a husband who works away all the time, and there are days when she comes in and tells me she wants to pack it in because she feels guilty for missing things with her daughter - but you need to remember the bigger picture and how much quality family time you will gain in the long run.
    On another note, another younger friend of mine with no children and living at home felt she couldn't cope and did pack it in - however she deferred, so she is still able to come back and complete the course in the next 2 years. If you apply, get in, start and then realise you cant do it now, there is the option to defer - once uni have you they don't really want to let you go.

Hope this helps, and on a final note, I do apologise if this is hard to read, I can't work out how to paragraph on here!!

4. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

Are you qualified and in a full time teaching job?
    Because unless you're one of the very few lucky ones then quality family time is not something you would associate with being a teacher!
    If you're doing your job properly then you'll not just have teaching to do while at school, but all the lesson planning, school reports, marking, departmental and staff meetings, extra curricular activities and a lot of other responsibility that comes with being a teacher.
    And if you've just qualified and are doing an NQT Year, then that's even more work on top of that!