1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I approach headteacher about possible vacancies if not advertised?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rlith, Feb 13, 2012.

1. I am currently employed but my contract is only temporary. When I'd started the job another headteacher contacted me about a job that he had. I had not applied for the position but had sent an application for a different job, which had not reached school in time but he said he had read it and kept it because he liked it so much. I had to tell him that I was already employed. Do you think it would be OK for me to contact him saying that it I will be available from June if any other vacancies arise?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, and it is good to have contacts. You are in a nice position here.
    BUT:
    a) do make it clear that you would be available TO APPLY - don't make it look as though you expect just to be given it.
    b) don't just expect to be given it!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February (Although I believe that this is now full)
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. That's very useful. Thank you.