1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can I apply in the usual way?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Gila, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I'm confused. My supply agency rang me this morning saying a school had contacted them regarding a two term position from January, and would I be interested in them putting my name forward. Of course I said yes! Now I have just seen an advertisement for the same position - on the usual council website, so I would have seen it anyway and would have applied in the normal way. Can I still do that or not? I'm worried that I stand less of a chance of getting an interview, as I would be more expensive through an agency. Can anybody advise me? (I've posted this question on the jobseekers forum as well).

2. I'm confused. My supply agency rang me this morning saying a school had contacted them regarding a two term position from January, and would I be interested in them putting my name forward. Of course I said yes! Now I have just seen an advertisement for the same position - on the usual council website, so I would have seen it anyway and would have applied in the normal way. Can I still do that or not? I'm worried that I stand less of a chance of getting an interview, as I would be more expensive through an agency. Can anybody advise me? (I've posted this question on the jobseekers forum as well).

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's a pity that the agency told you which school it was as then you could have applied independently.
    My former agencies would never tell me; they'd ask for permision to orward my CV and only let me know where if I was shortlisted.
    The trick is to say yes to being forwarded and when they tell you the name of the school, tell them you've just sent an application to them direct (say you heard about it on the grapevine in case it hasn't been advertised!) ... and then get a letter off to the school offering your services direct.