1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I apply for jobs when off sick?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tallpoppy71, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tallpoppy71

tallpoppy71 New commenter

I am off sick for the second time with WRS. I went back too soon because I wanted to apply elsewhere and didn’t think I could do this whilst signed off. However, the work situation was no better - in fact it was worse.

Do I need to go back for a second time to apply out, or can I do this during sickness absence?

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Have you handed your notice in? I’d speak to the union and see if they might help facilitate a SA. Then you can leave with some pay and register with some agencies. Spend some time in different schools etc. It’s tricky applying for jobs in your situation. If you haven’t handed your notice in and your off sick, they may release you and pay you up until the end of the spring term. Speak to your union.

Anonymouse4, tallpoppy71 and TCSC47 like this.
  3. asnac

asnac Established commenter

tallpoppy71 likes this.
  4. clarefrankie

clarefrankie Occasional commenter

if you don't mind me asking how long were you signed off for? and how was the situation worse? i thought they had to facilitate your return? sorry about all the questions but in a similar situation but haven't returned yet

5. tallpoppy71

tallpoppy71 New commenter

Hi, I’ve sent you a conversation.

clarefrankie likes this.
  6. clarefrankie

clarefrankie Occasional commenter

just replied!

7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

This question has been asked on these forums thousands of times and the true answer is, you can apply for jobs BUT you need to inform your Headteacher that you are applying for such jobs and that you would require a reference.
    The same rules do apply and you cannot start working for a new employer until your employment with your current school has ended. It would be classed as a conflict of interest.