1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Can I apply for jobs outwith my own subject area?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by erin1987_tes, Sep 9, 2019.

  1. erin1987_tes

    erin1987_tes New commenter

    Good afternoon,

    I am hoping to move to Spain and work in an international school there. I am an RME specialist, although I currently teach BGE level social subjects as well as Travel and Tourism at Nat 5.
    My question is: is it worth me applying for social subjects full time positions? I also wondered if I should apply for english posts as I have an MA in English Literature and Religious Studies from Edinburgh Uni. I have 8 years of teaching experience.


  2. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    What does that mean ? You could be speaking pig-latin for all I understand - sorry.
    The simple questions I would want to ask are: What are you qualified to teach ? Which age groups ? What experience do you have ? Remember that employers will come from all around the world, and while the Scottish system is well reputed, it isn't very well known or understood. By all means move into English teaching, but be aware that there are lots of qualified and experienced English teachers out there. That doesn't mean that you can't become one of them.

    As for Spain - why? @dumbbells66 - over to you ?
  3. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    Oh, sweet jesus, another lamb to the slaughter.....just search this forum for advice on Spain. Hopefull it will have you running towards a decent country to work
  4. Mainwaring

    Mainwaring Lead commenter

    How are things in beauteous Benidorm, Dumbers? Settled in yet? I'll bet you're relieved to be back in sunny Spain.
  5. erin1987_tes

    erin1987_tes New commenter

    I do, of course, have my own reasons for moving to Spain and more than just myself to consider. I have quickly become aware of the dominant opinion on the subject.
  6. erin1987_tes

    erin1987_tes New commenter

    Thank you for your reply. As I said I am an RME specialist, meaning that it what I am qualified to teach officially. However I teach ages 11-16 history, geography and modern studies too. I have 8 years of experience in these subjects.
    yasf likes this.
  7. 576

    576 Established commenter

    RME is religious and moral education.
    It's the Scottish equivalent to RE.
    yasf likes this.
  8. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Scottish teacher here....

    OK - so you'll be teaching in an English curriculum school. So your BGE teaching will broadly transfer to KS3 Humanities, predominantly history and geography. RME isn't widely taught but there is a GCSE version which some schools do - Spain might have different ideas.

    If you have taught N5 History, Geography or Modern Studies, then that transfers to IGCSE History & Geography (there's no real equivalent in England of Modern Studies, which is in part why we've got Brexit...) With your MA you'd potentially be able to do English Lit at IGCSE - some schools would be interested.

    In your applications, you will need to be clear about how these transfer across. Don't expect the heads of the schools you are applying to to understand the difference between the Scottish and English curricula, or even to know that there is a difference.

    Happy for your to drop me a PM if you want to ask any other questions!
  9. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    So broadly speaking a middle school Humanities / Social Studies teacher with 8 years experience. (that's how a non British / English international school might describe what you do.)

    If you do decide to move away from the UK (aka English) style of international school, lots of schools like English / Humanities middle school teachers. Good luck - and please do try to avoid Spain unless you absolutely have to go for personal reasons.
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. yasf

    yasf Established commenter

    Thanks. Not a lot of that overseas
  11. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    If you have an MA in English Lit, I guess you must also have English Lit or Lang at BA level too. SO yes you could teach English. I would think you would be sought after with an MA in Eng Lit.
    erin1987_tes likes this.
  12. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Scottish undergraduate degrees from Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dundee, Edinburgh and St Andrews are awarded as a Master of Arts - there's a historical reason for it which slips my mind just now (and Dundee follows this as it started as part of St Andrews uni.)

    Just had another thought though for the original poster. You could also look at getting the additional qualification through GTCS - I did that to add History after I left the UK. You register with GTCS as a probationer for English (you keep your full registration for RMPS) and either in your current school or once you move start teaching some English classes. I was able to use the History I'd taught in my probation year and then combine it with the History I taught in Egypt to make up the number of hours to get the dual qualification. Speak to GTCS and then maybe to your HoD or whoever deals with training in your school to see if they'd let you do this (it shouldn't be too difficult for them - it's not like they're going to have to teach you how to teach!)
  13. erin1987_tes

    erin1987_tes New commenter

    Thank you for this!
  14. erin1987_tes

    erin1987_tes New commenter

    Thank you for your reply. I have looked into this before but my school were not keen as I have a full timetable already.
  15. missmunchie

    missmunchie Occasional commenter

    I'm pretty sure Modern Studies would be similar to the new Global Perspectives course offered at igcse and a level. Have a look at the syllabus.

Share This Page