1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I apply for another job whilst on sick leave?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by maud1901, Mar 27, 2016.

1. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

I am on sick leave from school with work related stress. I would like to actively look for another job in this time as I feel this is therapy. I have found a job which looks perfect and not in school so the stress factor would not affect the application. Am I allowed to apply for this job? Any advice welcome.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You may apply.

If invited to interview you should not attend as you are suffering work-related stress.

But look about you by all means.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If invited to interview, you would need to get permission from the Head to attend during your sick leave.

But you will probably be asked by the other employer for a reference from your current employer, so I suggest that you e-mail your Head, tell them the situation, ask if they could give a reference and also ask if they agree to you attending any interview that may be in term time whether or not you are still absent from school.

Good luck!

4. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Thank you, both.
    The job I am interested in is as a receptionist. The job is advertised as requiring a cv and hand written letter of application. Do I need to say that I have been absent form work with stress and could I state on the cv that any references can be requested post interview?

Again, any comments most welcome.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You will need to mention why you are leaving teaching. Just a brief wording about the fact that you, like many other teachers, are finding the pressures of teaching on your family life unacceptable.

As for the reference, don't forget that you will need permission to go to an interview.

Good luck!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. thenorris

thenorris New commenter

When I was off with work related stress, I went to an agency and was upfront as to why I wanted to leave the school I was at. I didn't tell the school in question, but they knew I was unhappy and that I wanted to leave, plus, they want me to leave too.

They gave me a good reference, so everyone was happy.

But, obviously every situation is different..

Good luck with the interview.

install likes this.
  7. maud1901

maud1901 New commenter

Many thanks for the replies. You have given me a lot of encouragement.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I emailed my head, told him I was applying elsewhere (I knew he wanted me to leave) and asked permission to go to interview. He took advice on what to reply from HR and gave permission, but said I should be careful not to 'worsen my condition'. (As my illness was caused entirely by him and his nasty SLT, I took the risk!)

As it happens going to visits and interviews helped enormously with my recovery. They reminded me that not all headteachers are nasty, horrible people and that I am actually a reasonably decent teacher.

JessieZ1984, Jesmond12 and ilovesooty like this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

Good luck and well done for realising the cause of the stress.