1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I apply for another job after only half a term?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ettie72, May 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I started a full time job after Easter, having worked part-time for 3 years after having my son. Due to the job market, getting a new job meant moving 100s of miles away from our home. We love where we're living, but the school is a bit of a nightmare. I can't teach properly due to the constant low level disruption, and Heads of Year etc simply put it down to their age!! I know coming into a new school at this time of year is difficult, and it is getting better, but some of these kids are feral!!!
    Another thing that is making things difficult is the fact that I have to do a 70 mile round mile trip every day and I am no better off financially cos of petrol costs. (I didn't get a house nearer to work as I didn't know the area, and have lifelong friends near to where I now live, who I needed for support due to the death of my mother literally 2 weeks after getting the job.)
    Anyway, I've seen another job advertised much nearer to home, and it's a good school. I would love to apply for it (of course, it may come to nothing!) but what do I tell senior management in my new, current school??? I'm not one to jump from one post to another, and have been teaching for 16 years, 12 of those years in only 2 schools. But financially, it's costing me a small fortune to stay where I am, and I dread going into work everyday cos of the kids. I'd seriously give it all up and become a bloody delivery driver if the money were better!!!
    I'm in a real quandry and would welcome your advice!

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Tell them that the journey is more taxing than you thought it would be, as well as difficult financially. Say that because you didn't know the area, you didn't appreciate that it would be such an expensive and lengthy commute each day.
    Tell them that you feel that you are settling into the school (after all it is early days) but that now you are more familiar with the area, you think that it would be better for you and your family to look for a post nearer home. Thank them for making you feel welcome, remind them of your previous commitment to schools, assure them of your commitment to your current school whilst you are there and don't mention that you aren't getting on with the kids.

3. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to speak to my line manager tomorrow, and explain my concerns. At the end of the day, I went back to full time teaching so that I could give my son more, in terms of quality time in the holidays where we could have a decent holiday etc....Instead, I'm spending less time with him, working more, for less money!!! To be fair to my school, it's ok really; I'm simply going through the settling in process, and I expect I'll have to knuckle down and get on with it until something closer to home comes up. I think I'll apply for this current job, but realistically speaking, time is running out with regards to a Sept start. What will be will be...
    Thanks againx

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Considering you aren't in the habit of moving schools often, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to do as others have advised and blame it on the commute. Make sure you are really certain about the new place if you are offered a job there -do your research on it beforehand, because it could be worse that where you are now!

5. I completely agree - it could be a frying pan to fire situation. Schools are experts at presenting a wonderful public face. I would suggest drawing up a critical list of questions that address all the things that are important to you and see if you can find the answers through a visit and by talking to staff other than the designated guide or headteacher (something I didn't do and later regretted). Great policies (eg behaviour) are all well and good but their practice is yet another. A key indicator that an area such as special needs is not being addressed well in a school is often low level disruption. As an ex SENCO, I would want to know what that provision looks like as it often demonstrates the attitude of a school towards everyone's pastoral care. Really key when you actually have a life.
    Good luck with the job application. I hope it is perfect for you and your family. All the reasons presented by other contributors are totally valid.

6. Definitely apply elsewhere. A long journey doesn't set you up well for the day in a difficult school. You might find September is easier with your own class(es) starting the year with your rules. However, as others have advised, don't give the slightest hint of it being the school that is the reason for wanting to go. Just try to sound positive! Hard work in these circumstances, but worth it. Good luck!