1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can I accept a better offer from another agency?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by international_muso, Feb 5, 2016.

1. international_muso

international_muso New commenter

I'm currently on supply until July. Another agency has a job which is closer to home and more suitable, am I able to quit the current job and take the other one?

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Short answer yes! If you are on day to day supply you can take up other post with 24hr notice.
    If you are on a long term job paid weekly then 1 weeks notice would be reasonable.

3. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Absolutely yes.
    I'm leaving my post at half term and the school have been incredibly reasonable about the decision.
    Everyone is replaceable. Do what suits you best.

wanet likes this.
  4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

As your daily rate (and profit!) is eaten into by petrol costs, you'd be mad not to take a job that is much closer to home.

However do be careful how you go about it. It's worth keeping the agency and the school sweet.

les25paul likes this.
  5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

You can quit your current placement for the new one if it suits you better, that is one of the advantages of supply.

But weigh up the pros and cons carefully first, particularly if you intend staying with supply teaching for a while. Which of the agencies is most reliable in getting you work at a good rate of pay? The short term gain of better work at the moment with the second agency might be wiped out if you alienate yourself with the first.