1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can HT refuse phased return?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by nawoods, Mar 3, 2011.

1. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

I have been off work since mid December. I tried to go back a couple of times but didn't cope. It was agreed with my HT that I have a phased return but it seems that one week of working 2 days, then having half term off is a phased return. I am now back at work full time and today was just too much. I do not feel ready for full time work yet.
    I have seen OH in half term and they also recommended a phased return, Unfortunately their report has not been recieved by HT yet. I have discussed this with HT but they didn't seem keen. They told me that it was up to the HT to decide and OH were only there to advise. I told HT that I didn't want to find it too much and then go off sick - a phased return would be a lot better. Knowing that I have time to get back into it with days out of the classroom would be a great help.
    I also saw a cousellor for the first time last night. They also agreed that a phased return would be the best option for me. How do I tell HT this? Can I demand that I have a phased return? I don't want to cause anymore problems at school. I am in Y6 and it is a stressful year at the best of times.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. nawoods

nawoods New commenter

I have been off work since mid December. I tried to go back a couple of times but didn't cope. It was agreed with my HT that I have a phased return but it seems that one week of working 2 days, then having half term off is a phased return. I am now back at work full time and today was just too much. I do not feel ready for full time work yet.
    I have seen OH in half term and they also recommended a phased return, Unfortunately their report has not been recieved by HT yet. I have discussed this with HT but they didn't seem keen. They told me that it was up to the HT to decide and OH were only there to advise. I told HT that I didn't want to find it too much and then go off sick - a phased return would be a lot better. Knowing that I have time to get back into it with days out of the classroom would be a great help.
    I also saw a cousellor for the first time last night. They also agreed that a phased return would be the best option for me. How do I tell HT this? Can I demand that I have a phased return? I don't want to cause anymore problems at school. I am in Y6 and it is a stressful year at the best of times.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

The Head can refuse a phased return. Can you afford to go part time?

4. They can refuse phased returns, but if this goes to tribunal it can go against the employer and contribute towards a claim for constructive dismissal...

5. What has your GP said? Recently my GP issued a fit note stating that I "may be fit to work with the support of a phased return over 4 weeks, beginning at 40% and building up by no more than 20% per week". I was told that if work would not support this the fit note would cover my continued absemce over this period.
    Luckily, my HT has been great in supporting this, especially as it was backed up by OH. OH stated phased return should be continuous i.e. not broken up by a holiday. This meant I had to remain on sick for the last week of last half term and my phased return began this week. This week I am only working 3 half days, next week 2 days then 3, 4 and back to full time. At first I felt a little fraudulent and guilty leaving at lunchtime, but quickly realised just how difficult half a day had been. In reality I would not cope with full time straight away after having 2 months off. The objective shared by my GP, HT, OH and myself is that it will be more productive for all concerned if I ease back in rather than causing further absences by doing too much too soon.
    OP you really need to seek advice from your GP and perhaps spell out the bigger picture (likely further absences) to your HT.
    Good luck