1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can home visits improve pupils’ behaviour?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 11, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Are they the key to help students behave better at school?

‘A home visit is an opportunity to discuss concerns about a child’s behaviour with parents or carers, but is not an end in itself. It should not be regarded as a punitive measure. I remember hearing, as an NQT, a colleague saying something like, “Right, that’s it! I’m coming round to see your parents!” to a teenager, and even then thinking that this was an unnecessary escalation.

The principal reason I’ve done home visits in the past has been because a parent or parents simply cannot get into school for childcare, work, health and/or transport reasons. Rather than delay things or miss parents out of the process altogether, I’ve found it best to make the effort to go to them.’
    Jarlath O'Brien works in special education in London.

Are you in favour of home visits? Have you carried out home visits? Have they been successful? If yes/no, why? Are parents more inclined to work with the school to improve their child’s behaviour if a school visit is carried out?

https://www.tes.com/news/are-home-visits-key-improving-behaviour

2. install

install Star commenter

Teachers are not accountable for all of society's problems. They are not trained social workers, counsellors or psychologists, police persons or even spies. They simply want to teach in a safe, positive and secure environment.

Let trained family professionals visit homes if necessary.