1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can HOD also be member of SLT?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missbreak, Sep 6, 2011.

1. There is the possibility that an SLT post (assistant head) may become available. I am interested in at least applying for the post and would be happy if I got it too. However, I am also HOD of a small department and would like to keep that role too. Is it possible to be both HOD and Assistant Head. I know the work load would be huge but just would like to know should I put it to the HT that I would like to do both I won't be told it's not possible.
    Thanks

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

A couple of years ago I got a one year temporary promotion to SMT whilst I was also covering a HoD position (due to maternity leave) so it is possible. I have to say that the workload was a killer and I was torn at time between the two roles where SMT decisions adversely conflicted with departmental issues.
    To some extent it will depend on the precise roles you would do e.g. Head of Sixth form + HoD Psychology might be a relatively manageable combination

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But if you were to move on to AH, it might be nice to free up the HoD role for someone less experienced to start their way up the ladder?