1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can Heads legally delay or withdraw funds from a teacher's pension?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by George1164, Jun 1, 2012.

1. In a thread about bullying, I mentioned that our 'beloved' Head used threats against teachers' pensions as an inducment to get those staff he wanted to be rid of to take early retirement. I have heard that a Head can hold up the pension of a serving teacher for a certain period of time, but can he also do this for staff who have already left the school? Another threat he tried was to tell people that he would have the school's contributions to the pension fund withdrawn, so if you had been at the school for, say, a decade, this would be a considerable loss.
    When those of us who were being made redundant had a meeting with our Union, this question was asked but, as far as I know, we did not get a definitive answer. I would assume that if Heads could withdraw peoples' pensions, they would have already done so, implying that, without really good reason, they cannot. These days, however, anything goes, so I wonder if anyone knows under what circumstances a teacher can lose his or her pension.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I am astounded by this head teachers threats. What a nobber!

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The HT concerned is probably a jumped up, failed traffic warden who has not yet reached puberty. Gardening Leaves is, as always, correct, and an example needs to be made of this HT.

4. Te more I read the more I'm happy to take TheoGriff's advice on another thread. So many things on this forum confirm why I left teaching in the first, second and third place. I too have had experience with the Traffic Warden heads and teachers in general seem to be an easy target for playground bullies who have a deep impact on this dedicated profession. These days it seems even more important to ensure that one is well protected by both good union membership and personnal insurance, often available on household policies. It is also true that CAB and other agencies can offer much sound advice and support. Teachers can be so badly treated by management - a situation that would not be tolerated in many other walks of life. The job is stressful enough.