1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can Heads complain formally about appalling treatment of staff member's union towards them?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by starlightexpress, Mar 16, 2012.

1. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

As the question really. Do we have to put up with threats, rudeness and assumptions based on hearing one side of the story?

2. Isn't that what being a supply/temporary teacher is about?

3. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

The question is is the Head Teacher forum regarding a Union threatening a Head teacher. Can a Head Teacher complain formally?

I don't know where the supply/temporary teacher comment came from!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If by 'formally' you mean, can I complain in writing to the head office of the union? Then of course you can. What's stopping you?
    The union will have a means of dealing with complaints like any other organisation.

5. If you write with a specific complaint it will be logged and you will receive a reply from the line manager or regional office. I'd advise you to go ahead. Copy the letter to your union and Chair of Govs. Before your next meeting with said offender ensure you outline a protocol for behaviour at meetings in your school and that if he/she becomes aggressive or offensive then the meeting will terminate. At this point report them again and request another rep at any further meetings and also request a written apology. Meetings where unions have to attend are usually stressful enough without disgraceful behaviour from them. I think they sometimes think it a tactic to take you off guard to avoid the issue. Don't let them get away with it. Cheap tricks.