1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Can head make up amount instead of offering a standard TLR ?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tm1234, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I am looking at an internal job within my school. This position is offering £1600 (on top of existing salary) for a position of year lead. A member of senior management indicates that it's not totally a year head but this just seems to be a method to reduce salary. The job sounds great and just what I want and I would take it if offered - but can a school just make up its own incremental figure. I thought it had to at least offer the minimum TLR2a ?
    Any thoughts appreciated,

2. They can make it up. Our school has two literacy co-ordinators, both on £1,800 per annum.

3. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Is this pensionable or an honorarium?

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Is this school covered by the STPCD? If it is, no the school can not just make pay rates for TLR posts. The rates (with minimum and maximum values) are clearly stated in the STPCD 2010 Section 2, 21.2

5. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

No, they can't.
    What they might be doing is dividing one post in the school's staffing structure (e.g. leading years 5 & 6) between two individuals (one leading Y5 and one leading Y6), in which case there is someone else getting the other half of the TLR. That would be legitimate (and £1600 sounds about right in that case).
    You need to take a look at your school's pay policy and staffing structure and see how this role is identified.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

My understanding has always been that TLRs can not be shared. The regulations I remember certainly only refer to 'a teacher'.

7. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

8. It is a state school. Most subject coordinators are getting a standard TLR. How can I tell if the school is covered by STPCD - must admit that I haven't even heard of this before!

9. Yes when I spoke to the head he said that the job is not totally a year head role and indeed it's not going to have that as the job title. Some aspects of the previous year head (who was on TLR2b) will now be carried out by one of the Deputy Heads but from what I can see this role still does the majority of the role. (The same thing is happening through all years). I believe the reasoning is that the post-restructure costs must not exceed the pre-restructure costs (there are some other changes within the SMT) and that limits the payment to £1600.
    It is a position that I want but it feels very unfair in terms of the money.

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Your head has got themself into a tangle here and just making up pay rates is not the way out. The GB will have to restructure, in consultation with the staff, with regard to the law on safeguarding. A clear structure of roles, with job descriptions and TLRs awarded for each HAS to be in place.
    Contact your union for advice and agree to nothing in the meantime. Start recording all discussions, announcements and decisions (they will all be verbal I would think). Don't be induced to agree to anything by threats that it will be offered to someone more likely to accept it.

11. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I found that too, littlerussell but of courseit's just an FAQ from the LGE and of no more force than union or TDA advice/guidelines. Close reading of the STPCD 2010 reveals the absence of a simple satement that TLRs can not be split, just endless use of 'a teacher' or 'the teacher', always singular, with no provision for the employer being able to split a TLR.
    For such a long document it so often leaves you exasperated with what is left out!!