1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can he do this? A PPA question...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by a_bit_batty, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Wanted to come on here and get some clarification about something before going and talking to my head.
    In a couple of weeks I have been <u>told</u> I have to go on a First Aid training. This is two whole day sessions over two weeks. The person who normally does my PPA cover is going to cover the class for some of this time. However, she normally covers someone else's PPA during the time I am on the course so I have just been told that I won't be having PPA for those two weeks because the other teacher needs to have her PPA on my usual PPA day. The reasoning for this is because the training counts towards my professional development. Can he do this? I haven't asked to go on the course, I have been told I have to go on it. I am currently Literacy, ICT and French co-ordinator and just cannot afford to not have my PPA each week.
    So, what do you think?

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Oh I dunno. Sorry I'm not the right person to ask. It is nice to have a job, but sometimes people put upon you a bit. I'm from pre-PPA days. What do your terms and conditions say? Do you really want to have to make a fuss about this? Does this kind of thing happen again and again, can the school budget stand for it to be done any differently?

3. taj

taj

You are legally entitled to PPA time. As I understand it you should get 10% of the four days you are scheduled to teach during the week you are on your training, but I am sure others will be along soon to clarify this.

4. The easy answer is No he cannot do that!

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

.... and this is a completely spurious reason, CPD is in itself an entitlement of our contract and there is NO provision for it to be swapped for PPA. Had you asked to go on the course things might have been a little different but your head has no grounds whatsoever to deprive you of your PPA.