1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can good teachers still get rubbish results?

Discussion in 'English' started by Lozcat, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Just wondering. Bright students do well with even inadequate teachers, but does it work the other way round

2. Yes,of course. But, for some reason, there is a thinking amongst some SMT that we are not only responsible for teaching the material, but also for their revision, their sleep the night before the exam, choice of question, memory and concentration during the exam, and ability to follow the instructions (such as: answer ONE question from this section). If they screw any of those things up, and the bright kid under-performs, somehow it must be something we did in the classroom. Crazy, really I had an A* potential pupil last year who was the laziest child on earth. He handed in a Christmas Carol essay with one quote (Bah Humbug). I got him to rewrite it twice more, with around one more quote appearing each time, before deciding that he had to learn the hard way, and I entered it as a low D. Really not my teaching at fault there!.