1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can employer delay my early retirement

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by suzuki1690, Sep 20, 2015.

1. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Can anyone settle an argument. If i want to take early retirement can my employer withhold permission for 6 months. It seems to say this on the SPPA website. Surely i could just resign and work 4 weeks notice and claim my pension immediately. I emailed the teachers pensions on this and their response was vague. Where does this 6 months come in?

2. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Your employer does not pay your pension - it is the Scottish Public Pensions Agency.

Take it up with your trade union ASAP.

You make have to take a slightly reduced pension if you can reach consensus on your finishing date.

3. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Yes i understand that the sppa pay the pensions but why does it say on their website that you need your employers permission to retire early and it can be withheld for up to 6 months? Can i retire or resign at 55 with absolutely no interference from my employer, it seems to indicate that they need to agree to teachers leaving before 60.

4. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

I believe the 6 month 'notice' period is to allow a smooth transition, e.g. If a teacher retiring immediately would present problems back-filling that position the school/LA has a right to say, "No...not yet!" That is self evident from the current shortage of supply cover.

Effinbankers...Yes, it is the SPPA which administers and physically pays our pensions, however it is the LAs (our employers) who fund the lion's share via their contributions. Like it or not, they do have a say on the timing of an early retirement.

In fact, in the private sector an employer is entitled to refuse an early retirement request altogether. We are somewhat fortunate that we're only constrained for a maximum of 6 months!

5. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Okay not saying that i intend doing it... but if i resign then what? I only need to give 4 weeks notice, i wont have an employer. Thats the issue it doesnt make any sense?

6. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Resigning is totally different from retiring.

You are perfectly entitled to give four weeks notice and resign. You would then be unemployed, unless you had another job lined up.

Could you resign and immediately apply to the SPPA to collect your pension? It's an interesting one, but logically I don't see how your former employer could stop you!

suzuki1690 likes this.
  7. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Thats what i think but i suppose 4 weeks would not be enough for a pension to be sorted out especially if my employer was not particularly interested in making it easy for me.

8. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Yes, it could take a few months to put everything in place with the SPPA. Unlike the PAYE/NIC system, I don't think SPPA has access to real time information so they would need cooperation from your LA to bring your records up to date, e.g. contributions in the final year, gross pay etc.

suzuki1690 likes this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If I were you (and I'm feeling real fed up and unhappy too),I would put everything in place to take early retirement next summer. This would give your LA the 6 months you seem to worry about as well as giving your school plenty time to replace you (the issue of whether they can or not,is not your problem). This way you can leave in a graceful way, without recriminations about letting anyone down.

So what is there for you in that delay? Imagine how it will feel sitting in meetings and hearing about "very important" priorities for 2016/17 and thinking "I won't be there, don't care"! Imagine thinking that if that lazy S5 doesn't achieve the A he and his parents think he deserves, you will not be there in August and someone else will have to deal with the backlash! Imagine your grin getting bigger and bigger as summer approaches?

Can you tell that I've given this plan some real thought???

10. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

11. suzuki1690

suzuki1690 New commenter

Thanks for that catmother. However i asked the sppa for a forecast and they have worked out my pensionable salary to be just over £3000 more than my actual salary due to the pay freeze and lower than inflation rises and the rule that our pension is based on the last salary figure or the best 3 years in the last 10 increased for inflation. So the pension is not great but a lot better than i thought it would be at age 55. You are right though, the thing to do is give it another year ie until August which is actually less than a year now, especially with the summer holidays.

12. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

My boss gave notice of retirement in December and retired by February.
    The school had no say in it and it caused a lot of trouble before SQA time but he'd had enough, found out the notice he had to give and just handed in a letter saying, 'I am retiring as of 21st February. This is your notice of my retirement.'

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Was he 60? The rules might be different if you want to take early retirement?

14. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Isn't this all quite sad and depressing?
    Work is now a chore for an awful lot of us and too many of us are now looking forward to retiring.
    Just think of all that teaching experience that will be lost for good.
    Normally, folk retiring would just be the normal cycle of auldies being replaced by newbies.
    But you know what? The people replacing us aren't as good (sweeping generalisation I know, so apologies).

Let me explain.
    1) Too many recent entrants to teaching have entered the profession because they can't find a job elsewhere.
    2) Too many recent entrants to teaching have entered the profession because they want to "teach" for five minutes and then become a FH or PC teacher - ie for more money.
    3) Teaching is no longer teaching. There is more emphasis on filling in spreadsheets with wee pretendy "targets" and homework/test marks. The number of tests has doubled in my department in the last year because the f e c k I n spreadsheet says so (classic case of tail wags dog). And, sorry folks, but hardly anyone even knows of the Tackling Bureaucracy initiative.
    4) This must be the only job where the core function is secondary to everything else.

Sorry, a wee tangent there but I'm sure you get my drift.

15. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Aged 53 now - can't wait to get out - used to love the job - target age 56 if not I' ll be dead

sub3 and suzuki1690 like this.
  16. partickz

partickz New commenter

Hmmm bigjimmy, my first PT admitted that she only came into teaching due to lack of graduate jobs in late 80s/ early 90s so nothing new there in that. In the last 2 years, I have worked with 3 probationers- all going to make great teachers.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here.

18. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Sweeping generalisation and anecdotal I know, but I've noticed recently too many newbies wanting to get promoted far too early. You know the type, teaching for 5' makes them experts so they feel the need to "move on" when they really mean "I need more cash".
    It wasn't like that not too long ago.

susanr1301 likes this.
  19. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I'll join in too . . .

20. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. The worst thing is they are encouraged to do so and told again and again that they are amazing.