1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone think of any ideas related to the theme of 'drink'?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by qualiteacher, Jul 18, 2011.

1. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Am struggling!

2. qualiteacher

Am struggling!

3. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

milk shake related stuff. What exactly are you struggligling with

4. Ibuzzybea

Ibuzzybea Occasional commenter

a milk shake game i uploaded for you. If you want milkshake bar play resources let me know https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Milk-Shake-game-6101726/

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

So am I - you were way too vague in your OP.

6. Several but none suitable for small children.............................nearly the end

7. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

My feelings exactly!

8. toty

toty New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Probably nothing to do with what you are after at all but I
    once read a book to the children about thanking God for their drink of
    water. It started off with a little boy drinking water & thanking the
    glass. The glass replied that he shouldn't thank him as he only held the
    water - he should thank the one who gave him the water & so on. It
    explained the water cycle very simply & ended in thanking God. I lost
    the book but made an IWB presentation using a similar format. I've
    uploaded it if you are interested:

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Water-Cycle-6101932/

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

'Put down the bottle and we'll say no more, say no more, say no more.

Put down the bottle, before you take another throttle, follow, follow the band.

( In happy memory of Jean Simmons and Marlon Brando in Guys and Dolls.)

10. qualiteacher

Thanks for all your uploads. It is for next year, not now so all ideas welcome. E.G, sorting drinks by type, capacity, ten green bottles, making smoothies . . .. . .

11. I was thinking the same midgey! [​IMG]

12. How can you do a topic that is so dull that you can't come up with any ideas ?! Are the children going to be interested ?
    Sorry to sound harsh but who came up with this as a topic ?

13. qualiteacher

I have come up with some ideas but thought that this was a forum where you could ask others to share their ideas? Clearly I was wrong.
    Ideas I have had;
    Make healthy fruit smoothies and writing instructions/recipes
    Design your own smoothies
    taste different flavoured milks/juice and contribute to a class pictogram. Discuss results.
    Explore capacity using the water tray. Use language such as full, empty.
    Talk about the importance of water in our everyday life. What else do we use water for?
    ten green bottles - ordering numbers
    using discovery bottles

Should be enough for a week, I guess but just wanted to hear from others. Perhaps I'll just keep things to myself in future!

14. qualiteacher

Also: explore ice cubes in the water tray and record findings. Have a tea party and invite another class/teddy. Write invitations and taste tea. Taste different types of tea and write about which you liked best. Make a graph.

Doesn't seem all that dull to me. Perhaps you just need to have a bit of imagination.

15. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Oliver's Milk Shake: By Vivian French
    you could make different flavours with the children ,for them to try

16. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Tiddalick the frog who drank all the water in Australia....a lovely story where all the animals have to think of a way of making him laugh t give up the water......theme of what happens whe there is no water to drink.

17. I'm sorry if you fell offended but did the kids come up with this topic ? I have bag loads of imagination as I am a foundation teacher and it is the requirements of the job ! I just think this is a dull topic for 4 year olds . . . My class love dinosaurs, superheroes, tractors and trains . . .

18. qualiteacher

Well, every class is different, isn't it? I live in a country where there are no trains or tractors for that matter, and they don't believe in dinosaurs. At least the topic of 'drink' is a bit different and requires a bit of creative thinking rather than banging out the same old themes.

19. qualiteacher

Thank you to all the people who came up with ideas!

20. uh-oh, I think we are all feeling a bit grouchy at the end of term... [​IMG]
    qualiteacher, I think your ideas sound lovely. If you are only doing the topic for one week then you have more than enough to be getting on with. However, if you are planning on doing the topic for a half term, then the other ideas posted on here sound great. I was going to suggest the story of Tiddalik but see that someone else has. The children I've worked with over the years particularly enjoy that story.
    Is this a new topic? If not, is there previous planning you could use ideas from?
    I've not heard of this topic being done before but would be interested to see how successful it is. I think there is a temptation to drag the same old topics out over and over again but when something works, why try and fix it? Like the previous poster said, dinosaurs, superheroes, trains and tractors are always of huge interest. And I would have thought (although I don't know, obviously) that children everywhere are interested in them, even those who don't have those things immediately around them.
    I hope the topic goes well for you. [​IMG]