1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me....?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by FrauSue, May 17, 2011.

1. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

The current position, as far as I know, and the one which we used for our exchange, was based on the 2009 DCSF "Drawing the Line" report (produced as part of the review on the Vetting and Barring Scheme). I am not sure if this report applies under the new government but it was the most up-to-date piece of cocumentation I had when planning our exchange. The points we insisted on were as follows (apologies if copy and paste does not work):

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;}

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:150%;">UK parents and German parents are given
    each other&rsquo;s contact details and encouraged to contact each other before
    exchange.<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:150%;">We offer to help with translations of
    emails for parental contact if necessary.<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:150%;">German pupils have UK teachers&rsquo; numbers
    as well as German teachers&rsquo; numbers, and their partner&rsquo;s number. UK and
    German teachers should have a list of all pupils&rsquo; numbers.<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:150%;">Our colleague in Germany will collect signatures
    from the German parents/guardians confirming that they accept
    responsibility for selection of host family and are happy for their child
    to stay with the UK family chosen. Ensure German teacher gives us a copy
    of these signatures. We
    also have equivalent signatures from UK parents agreeing to the same points. (see DCSF &ldquo;Drawing the Line&rdquo;, Recommendation 7,
    point 54).[/LIST]

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:150%;">At the moment, no need to ask our UK parents
    to submit to CRB checks, as long as the above measures are followed.<li class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:0.0001pt;line-height:150%;">

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-US
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

Wherever possible, child &lsquo;A&rsquo; will stay with
    child &lsquo;B&rsquo; during the outward leg of the visit and child &lsquo;B&rsquo; with child &lsquo;A&rsquo; on
    the home leg; if this is not possible for any reason, both sets of parents will
    confirm they are happy with the arrangement.
    Parents have been given the right to refuse
    the host family offered (both UK and German parents).
    The exchange visit will last less than 28 days
    and therefore fall within the provisions of the private foster care
    arrangements in the Children Act 1989 (see &ldquo;Drawing the Line&rdquo;, Rec 7, point 54)

[/LIST]

2. Thank you very much for this post, This is really good to know. I have been approached by a German school to organise an exchange visit. At the moment I am organising my first school trip, but I haven't got any experience in this field. It would be great if somebody could the relevant material they use to organise an exchange, such as a checklist of things to do, letters to parents, risk assessment etc.

I think organising an exchange sounds quite challanging, but at the same time it is also a very valuable experience for students.

I would be very grateful for any advice and support you can give.

Thank you very much.

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I have written something about exchanges at www.frenchteacher.net. Just click on "Our exchange".