1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me what the heck to do with silken tofu?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Oct 12, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I tried it in this wedding cake for the vegans, but really the result is not good ( choc cake) tried silken tofu). Would it kill a vegan to deceive with a few eggs? And do they have the right to disrupt my cake anyway when everyone else isn't? You get pulled into the "truth of it", but, hey, I don't care as cakes is cakes. I saw the Romany gypsies on my way back here this morning with their round caravans and horses tied along the road, and just thought, hell just do it your way. As I said I have Vegan truffles.

Me and my other daughter send each other faces off the tool bars or quizzical looks and smilies being sick.

Run for the hills..............

2. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

ps I have no idea how to access messages... what does one do?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's best just flavoured and either served raw or lightly steamed. It can't be handled much or it disintegrates completely. It's definitely an acquired taste - texturally a little strange. Firm tofu is far more manageable. I can't comment on its use in cakes.

4. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

So, is it really better to not try to imitate non vegan dishes, and just accept that being a vegan is about having other things? This is the dilemma I have at the moment. As the egg said, if you try to combine the two, you have the worse of both worlds, and not the best?

5. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Oh well, the cake went down well, and nobody "knew the trouble I'd had". Driving home at 3.30am a stag ran out on the road and refused to get off for a whole mile running ahead. I am told this must be a sign ( of empathy) so it was worth it.???

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It's ok but I'd chuck it in the bin!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Whilst tofu is often seen as a meat substitute for veggies in the West, in Far Eastern cusines, it's just seen as an ingredient. It's often used alongside or in dishes that aren't vegetarian. We eat it regularly and we're not remotely vegetarian - we do try to limit fish and meat to a few times a week though so tofu might feature sometimes in our meat free meals (although I don't personally think that veggie or vegan meals need a 'meat substitute' as such. A meal can be filling with just veg and starch of some type).

There are loads of types of tofu - firm, soft, medium, silken, spiced, smoked, dried, 'bamboo', fried, etc. Many of these are only available in Oriental foodstores and they all suit different purposes. My personal favourite are the firm, dried and bamboo varieties. The silken stuff is designed to be eaten raw or very lightly steamed. I'm not fussed on it but that might be because I've never had it done properly.

Its use in a cake sounds a Western appropriation for vegans, maybe because of its textural similarity to cream cheese. Never had it done like this so I can't comment but I like my cakes with butter and eggs in them anyway so it's not really an issue!

8. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

9. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Yes, Belle, I did chuck it in the bin what remained which wasn't much: well actually I left it for room service.......never again. Naff to do the same thing twice.

10. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I only ever use it in dessert recipes as I find firm tofu much better for frying/grilling etc. There are some great recipes online for "cheesecakes" made with silken tofu and I regularly use it in a chocolate mousse style dessert or cake filling even when making non-vegan cakes because it's so quick and easy (and delicious) compared with faffing about beating eggs and suchlike. Basically whizz up silken tofu in a food processor, gradually add melted dark chocolate and a glug of maple syrup if it's not sweet enough for you. It sets to a lovely texture that's firm enough to use as a cake filling but soft enough to just eat as a mousse or a cheesecake topping. If you want, you can add other flavourings such as nuts or coconut.

11. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

12. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Yea, but Philly is better for that job. Still, I have to tolerate the silken tofu lot, and maybe there is a role for it, such as unblocking toilets!