1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me how science teaching changed in the last 10 years?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Sesquipedalian, May 10, 2019.

1. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Sorry I've rather gone away from the original question.

One change is more emphasis on memorising facts. Notably in physics GCSE they have to remember a lot of formulae which used to be given, which causes problems for some students. Strangely most of the formulae they had to learn for GCSE are then given to them for A level.

Sesquipedalian and agathamorse like this.
  2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

They wouldn't need to be so reactive? :)

3. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

On basis of this and other posts, I really hope science does not go the same way as DT with very little practical. By the same token there are more people saying that schools are teaching a too narrow curriculum with less art, music and generally too much thought going into passing exams.

4. Sesquipedalian

Sesquipedalian New commenter

I have noticed a general disdain for practical work. It makes a total mockery out of science!

I should also add STEAM and the abolishment of Assessment Levels to the list.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The new Science GCSE is awful and demoralizing to teach.

Students do not seem to want to do practicals any more

I'm retiring soon - I can't wait.

6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

The specification is much more detailed and requires far more planning with less room to show originality and creativity. Much more tell them it answer the questions then giving the students the opportunity to find out the answer.

Also the nature of the teacher coming through the system has changed (I stand by for flak from this comment). Far more accepting less questioning less challenging of the system then there was once. Some may think this is good i dont as sometimes changes only happen when the system is challenged.

The child also seems to be much less resilient and lacking in the skills for practical work or independent thought. Im not sure how this can be addressed.