1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone tell me how science teaching changed in the last 10 years?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Sesquipedalian, May 10, 2019.

1. Sesquipedalian

Sesquipedalian New commenter

I am keen to return to teaching after taking 10 years out to care for my children. Teachers keep telling me it has changed. Interviewers ask me how I intend to catch up. Interviewers inform me that other candidates are more 'current'. But nobody will give me a straight answer about what has changed!

It seems terminology has changed i.e. SEN to SEND, Independent learning to Enquiry Based Learning, Assessment to Assessment for Learning, G and T to Most Able.

Child protection seems to have become a big thing. Also the integration of ICT, PSHE, numeracy and literacy. Teachers are encouraged to talk less - every activity must be made accountable by assessment. Even the amount of practical work is prescribed.

The Science curriculum doesn't appear to have changed much. Similar worksheets and activities are being carried out, just somehow rebranded. The children don't seem to have changed much either, albeit a little computer obsessed.

What is everyone so worried about? Is there really so much to learn? Are there any key documents I should read? Are Ofsted and The Department for Education still considered the arbiters of great teaching? What about independent schools?

Everything seems so vague and negative. Has anything changed for the better?

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

In reality very little has changed. Slightly more challenging to the kids but content wise not a lot has changed, at least not in Physics. Well not so much that I would not think a reasonable teacher would pick up quickly.

Now as to the jargon you will need to resubscribe to www.TeachersBingoCards.co.uk but the underlying process has changed little, you will just have to determine where on the great roundabout of teaching methods/philosophy we currently are and jump straight back on.

agathamorse and Sesquipedalian like this.
  3. Sesquipedalian

I appreciate your frankness. Your bingo reference is very funny! Science isn't a problem. It is the teaching methods/ philosophy part that confuses me! And what the heck to answer in an interview...

agathamorse likes this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Thats the point, teaching methods/philosophy etc do not really change, the current in vogue version (with a new name) just goes around and around with the rest. You just have to determine where on the great wheel we are and learn the Bingo names for what you used to do.

I would wager money that the reason they are not able to tell you what has changed is because they do not know either.

Sesquipedalian and agathamorse like this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Science teachers are like golddust so I wouldn't worry about the interview unless you are expecting to be paid more than an NQT.

6. maggie m

maggie m Established commenter

I don't know where in the country you are but there are over 160 science vacancies in London. We need 2 teachers and are getting no decent applications. Badly spelt applications one of which got the school name wrong!!

agathamorse and Sesquipedalian like this.
  7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

A bt more content. Slightly harder (AS standard). Nothing anyone with a Science degree couldn't pick up easily and deliver. More mathsy stuff. All offset by ridiculously low grade boundaries.
    Yup. Don't worry about the interview. Just a tick list here;
    1) Breathing
    2)Any Science degree
    3)Confident
    4)Good sense of humour ( though I see quite a lot getting away with this one.)
    You'll be snapped up.
    5)Bonus points for a Chem or Physics degree; they'll give you retention points for this.

Sesquipedalian likes this.
  8. Sesquipedalian

Thanks for your encouragement! I may be overreacting. I have only applied for one job for which I got an interview.

9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I didn't know G and T changed to most able! Just ignore all that peripheral shxte and get on with teaching the Science.

10. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Quite right; ignore this and enjoy a G and T or two at the end of a hard day.

11. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

In our area science teaching has changed from being delivered by permanent staff to a succession of supply teachers. Probably not what they were looking for.

12. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

More able is gone. Higher attaining now.
    Flight paths have come and gone.
    40% of the exam is direct recall.
    Everyone in teaching is 22 and a half years old.
    You now leave teaching at UPS point 3.
    If you are in the south or east then you will picking and choosing your school.
    In seriousness, no pay portability any more. You must negotiate your pay and terms at the interview.

ridleyrumpus and agathamorse like this.
  13. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

What's changed is not the science or the teaching. It's the same old roundabout of 'bright' ideas from greasy pole climbers. Ignore.
    What has changed is management. 1) Lots more of them 2) Lots more very stupid managers 3) Lots of managers who have to prove their value by haranguing teachers 4) No budget, so management need to cut salaries and increase workloads constantly (not their salaries or workloads, obviously) 5) Management culture is now openly toxic and abusive to the minions.

14. gainly

Well, according to what a "teacher" told one of the pupils I tutor, copper now displaces zinc from zinc sulphate. I didn't know that before!

Scintillant likes this.
  15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I dread to think what Lead does.

yodaami2 likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps if they paid more attention in class they wouldn't need a tutor?

17. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

Vital for the OP to consider though. There are ramifications to being an experienced science teacher in departments like these. My biggest, science specific, issue is with how it impacts the practical ability and experience of students. The first thing that goes, when a science teacher is off, is any practical work. I've had an A level chemistry class who had not used a Bunsen since year 7, if even then.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. gainly

My student had written the correct answer and the teacher had told her to change it. When students tell me their teacher has told them something which isn't true I always think it more likely that they have misunderstood or not listened. However in this case there were several questions where I could see she had written the correct answer and then changed it on the teacher's instruction.

agathamorse and yodaami2 like this.
  19. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

!!!
    It doesn't even beggar belief anymore.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

! Again.

agathamorse likes this.