1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone suggest some great books that I can read aloud to year 3 & 4?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by issypicken, May 31, 2010.

1. I'm looking for ideas for great fiction texts that I can read to a mixed age year 3&4 class - not linked to any topic in particular.
    Any ideas?
    A title, author & brief description would be most welcome.

2. I'm looking for ideas for great fiction texts that I can read to a mixed age year 3&4 class - not linked to any topic in particular.
    Any ideas?
    A title, author & brief description would be most welcome.

3. I really like the Little Nicolas short stories, originally written in French but translated, Gosciny and Sempe author and illustrator. Very funny stories about a little boy, I think they are set in the 50's, about the trouble he gets in with his gang of mates, and life through the eyes of a little lad! Despite the fact that they are children's stories my Y9 form class love them!

4. You could try Ali Sparkes - "Dark Summer"or "frozen in time"
    x

5. Chris4

Chris4 New commenter

I like reading 'Horrid Henry' books aloud if it's just purely for fun!

6. Kids that age love books by Morris Gleitzman. They're very funny.
    http://www.morrisgleitzman.com/

7. I can highly recommend "You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum" by Andy Stanton. How about "George's Marvellous Medicine" by Roald Dahl? I've never met a child who didn't like it, and it's going off on a tangent from "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", which while a terrific book does seem a bit over-exposed. "Spy Dog" by Andrew Cope is another gem.

8. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

And that perennial favourite - Bill's New Frock by Anne Fine - brilliant for work on relationships, how we view ourselves and others, quite apart from being a funny and thought provoking story.

9. I have been reading 'Danny Fox' by David Thomson to this age group for 12 years and they always adore it. It's really old (older then me - I had it read to me at school in the 70's and it's one of my most vivid memories of school). THere are 3 in the series, which are all great. I highly recommend them. My current class, who are usually quite lively and talkative are absolutely lapping it up. You can get copies from amazon.Nothing else I have read compares.

10. impis

impis New commenter

"little wolf's book of daring deeds"
    I had to read this to a y 4 class when I was on supply some years ago. They'd already had most of the book, and I was to finish it with them.
    I wasn't familiar with the book, and its difficult to start near the ending - but - despite all that I loved it. It made me laugh so much I could barely read it!! The reaction of the kids only made it better, as they tried to come to terms with the meaning of 'the jumping bean bangs'.
    Ahhh, happy days!

11. karentee

karentee New commenter

I'm reading the Series of Unfortunate Events to my Year 4s, it is very rich in language and not accessible to lots of them to read themselves, we're on book 3 and really enjoying them.