1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone suggest good books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie28, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi can anyone suggest a good book for discussing characters feelings/thoughts/what they would say at different points in the story. We are then going to write ideas on heart shapes/thought bubbles/speech bubbles etc
    Thanks

2. Tadpole's Promise is a good one for this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tadpoles-Promise-Jeanne-Willis/dp/1842704265/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305973505&sr=1-1 Children seem to enjoy the poignancy of the difference between the character's thoughts and their own understanding of the situation. I've had some lovely responses to this from older children too.

3. I taught a unit of work based around the picture book 'Tuesday' and during that we completed thought/feeling bubbles for various characters.
    Might not be what you are looking for but it's a fab book:)
    rocket x

4. Hi,
    My year 4 choice would be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the chapter called 'The Miracle' It's great because it is only a couple of pages long, but full of emotion as Charlie finds the fifth golden ticket! Lots of characters to explore. I used enlarged stills from the film in the middle of sheets of A4 and asked the children to record adjectives/adverbs and extended phrases for the more able. We then progressed to wriitng dialogue for the characters. I also showed clips from the DVD and asked children to compare them with the script and comment on the differences and reasons for them. The children were very well engaged and we got a lot from these lessons. I also used parts of Matilda.
    If you have year R/1s - Lilah Pirate is a great book
    Year 2 - maybe Katie Morag books
    Years 3 and 4 love Jeremy Strong books, esp Cosmic Pyjama adventures.

Good luck!
    Janice

5. The Diary of the Killer Cat (Anne Fine) is great for y3. If you want to link it with poetry, Cloud Busting (Malorie Blackman) is great, more for y5/6 - all about bullying. To link with ww2, Adolphus Tips (Morpurgo). Bills new frock is great for character feelings too.