1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone suggest a spelling scheme for Year 5/6?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by patches, Aug 14, 2008.

1. patches

patches New commenter

Links would be good too! Thanks

2. patches

patches New commenter

Links would be good too! Thanks

3. jlo

jlo New commenter

Looked at these but seem a bit simple for 5 and 6 depending on levels of course. I have a booklet I downloaded from dfes and another booklet I use which concentrate on patterns and root words. When 'teaching to the test'I find this is the best method for the majority of class.
    e.mail me and I will send if you want. jolower@aol.com

4. My starting point is the KS2 Spelling Bank. I then come up with activities either from Smartboards I downloaded from the national whiteboard network (when it was working)or my own.I sometimes use Andrew Brodie Spelling for Literacy or Teaching Spelling from Hopscotch publishing. The school bought in Nelson Thornes (before I worked there) but I am not impressed with it and most teachers have now abandoned it.

5. Like bsaca I use the spelling bank and cover anything they unsure of as a starting points eg changing tense/double consonants etc...before i challenge them with more tricky words.

6. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

7. jlo

jlo New commenter

EBD they look great. The year 5 ones would be absolutely fine for Year 6 too.