1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone recommend a learning platform for a primary school?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by egeake, Jan 13, 2011.

1. We have just over 200 pupils and are currently using Kaleidos, and it's really unpopular. Can anyone suggest a better one, where good=used by parents? Our parents are reasonably IT literate and reasonably motivated. The functions it needs as a bare minimum are: calendar; discussion space; photo/video gallery; homework setting and return. All advice gratefully received.

2. We have just over 200 pupils and are currently using Kaleidos, and it's really unpopular. Can anyone suggest a better one, where good=used by parents? Our parents are reasonably IT literate and reasonably motivated. The functions it needs as a bare minimum are: calendar; discussion space; photo/video gallery; homework setting and return. All advice gratefully received.

3. Just got back from BETT 2011 and spent quite a bit of time looking at VLPs / VLEs
    The only one I found for Primary Schools, which made my loins restless, was a brilliant one - MyLearning. designed and built by ex-teachers.
    http://www.mylearningltd.co.uk/view/primary-virtual-learning-platform/
    It does everything and more. Including embeding just the videos found on YouTube without the YouTube logo. Apparently this is legal, as checked by their Lawyers, because the videos uploaded onto YouTube aren't owned or copywrited to YouTub
    It also has over 2500 activities built into the VLP / VLE.
    I think alot of them are the Sherston's Online programs.
    I spent a good hour in a Show & Tell (just me) and was flabagasted.
    The price was also a little less than the other companies were offering.
    Alan Sawyers is the person to speak to.
    By the way I don't work for these guys, I just know a good thing when I see it.
    I als went to a Seminar demonstrating RadioWaves
    http://www.radiowaves.co.uk/
    A free one and monitored. Upload your Texts, videos and Audios.
    Nice but not anywhere near as good as MyLearning.
    Trust me, I'm a Teacher.
    John

4. John, thank you for taking the time to write all this. I'll be having a look at both your recommendations today. Much appreciated. Elisabeth.

5. I know it may seem a biggie or a bit daunting but have you considered a Moodle solution? There are lots of companies who host or supply services for this free VLE. Also if you search for blogs, books and examples by moodlefairy (aka Mary Cooch), you'll find examples and help from a Primary School teacher, who is great with moodle, very happy to share, and an all round star.

P.S. That comment about youtube and copyright is interesting, my understanding was that youtube made uploaders agree to terms that handed copyright to youtube, especially in the case of reuse and distribution, but I could be off base.

6. Hi, haven't got as far as considering anything, except from a move away from Kaleidos! Thank you for your tips - that's really useful extra info. Now I need to get on with looking at demos etc!

7. My ears were burning - someone mentioned my name[​IMG] No reason why primaries can't adopt Moodle too -lots of cheap ways to get hosting and support. As for youtube (as an aside) I thought the person who uploaded it owned the copyright - in fact, it must be, because someone re-uploaded one of my videos in their name and I got youtube to remove it http://twitpic.com/3982b2