1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone recommend a diet that works?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FenellaF, Jul 2, 2011.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I have to say, i am the world's worst dieter. I LOVE food. I eat to cheer myself up, eat to celebrate, eat when I'm bored, eat when I'm not bored. As a result, unsurprisingly, I am a tad overweight and need to shift some fat off my lardy ****.
    Can anyone recommend a diet that they have followed that really seems to work, without staving yourself?

Thanks

2. Slimming World, I lost 4.5 stones, ate wonderfully, even drank shorts and ate choccy and crisps, (AND chips) was NEVER hungry, and felt healthier than I have ever done, would highly reccommend it.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Yes, do what I do - eat more.
    Yep, eat more.
    Each day I make sure I eat everything on the list below. After all that I don't really want to eat "bad" stuff so much - and I am never hungry. I eat other things too - this isn't a "Eat only this" list, it's a "Eat this and some other stuff too" list.

A portion each of 2 different proteins
    A portion of dairy
    A portion of carbohydrates
    A portion of red fruit/veg
    A portion of orange fruit/veg
    A portion of yellow fruit/veg
    At least one portion of green fruit/veg
    A portion of blue or purple fruit/veg

Work out a sensible breakfast for yourself, make sure you have at least 2 of your fruit and veg at lunch, and then at dinner make sure you get the rest of the list in. You may want to look up suggested portion sizes on food packets or online.
    Generally go for low fat alternatives and make sensible choices with the other things you eat in addition to the list.

It works for me. Nothing more complicated than that.

4. I lost baby weight by having three (healthy - no lard) meals a day, absolutely nothing in between, not eating after 6.30pm, and having a brisk half hour walk every day too.
    It worked for me.

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I lost over 3 stone by going to the gym 4 or 5 times a week and just eating sensibly with the occasional treat, Then i had a baby and did the same again. It took me about 10 months each time. Now i've just had another baby, she's 7 weeks old and i'm starting all over again! This WILL be the last time!!
    I'm planning on doing an average of 3 times a week at the gym, more if I can, and going out for lots of walks. I've cut out bread for the moment and pasta, and am eating loads of salad, fruit and veg.
    Hopefully it'll work this time as it's worked before!

6. Exercise more. If you really like food, it's the only way.

7. karentee

karentee New commenter

Slimming world, it's all about eating the right kind of foods, I eat far more than I did before, but now of the kind of food that is healthy but fills me up, meaning I'm not then tempted by a biscuit or two. It has really changed my attitude towards food (along with changing my waistline!)

8. The only thing that will ever work and last is being willing to completely overhaul your lifestyle.

9. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

yep the diet i am currently following.

Eat 3 meals a day, which are the correct portion size and come to about 1300-1500 cals a day.

eg
    breakfast 30g of cereal, banana and milk = 300 cals
    Lunch - Pasta pot, apple and a yogurt = 350 cals
    tea - home made curry and rice = 600 cals
    a small snack if need be = <100 cals

10. They all work if you stick to them.
    Doesn't matter which one you choose if you supplement it with chocolate, chips, pizza and booze.

11. Exactly. Equally, if you lose lots of weight and then go back to the emotional overeating then you will soon pile it all back on again.

12. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Get pregnant and then breastfeed. It works especially well if you co-sleep, and let the baby latch on when it wakes up and grumbles. You do end up with a blobby baby, but they get back to normal as soon as they sleep through the night and are a bit active during the day.
    It's the only time I've ever approached being thin in my life. [​IMG]

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

To some extent, yes.
    I manage to eat all these things (ok, not every day), and I'm still losing. It's a change I've made for the rest of my life - I'm not prepared to give up these things forever, I'd rather lose weight slightly more slowly.
    I worked out my rate is 2.5g/hour. I'd rather have fun and stick with this than up it to 2.6g.hour and be miserable!

14. No diet will work if you are lazy.
    The only way to lose weight is to rethink your eating habits and rethink your sporting activity.
    I shall repeat - if you are prone to laziness - no diet will work.

15. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I have a great diet. It's called Eating Less. It comes with copious amounts of will power. It is hard. It is not for the faint hearted. Is forever. boooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooo!
    (on a sensible note, I aim for 1200 calories when I am aiming to lose weight, and track what I am eating with an app on my phone. I constantly underestimate my portion sizes, so wieghing them out at first helps to get into my brain what size they really are. I've discovered that it's a head thing, almost completely. I needed to become shocked/disguted with myslef, have a good long look in the mirror - without clothes - and then chuffed that Eating Less did actually work. Stress thows me off, because I'm a comfort eater, but once in the 'zone' it's relatively easy to keep going. Just remember, hunger is your friend, and be strong.)

16. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

First of all dieting does not lead to long term weight loss. It is relatively easy (if you have sufficient will power) to lose a stone or more in weight. It is very difficult to keep that weight off. Three years ago I lost 6 1/2 stones. Within two years I had put all that weight back on with interest. Last September I decided that I needed to lose weight and looked at changing my lifestyle.

The first step was to identify why I was prone to putting on weight. Two things stood out, a lack of exercise and binge eating certain foods. I made the decision to stop eating those foods (chocolate, cake, biscuits, ice-cream, pizza, sweets, energy drinks and fruit juice) and I have accepted that I will not be able to eat then again. I have stuck to a healthy diet since. At the start of my diet I was not able to do much exercise (walking a mile and a half required two long breaks). Since Christmas I have been going to the gym on average twice a week increasing the amount and difficulty of the exercise I do

As a result I have lost over ten and a half stone and have only had one set of cravings (about a month after starting the diet). Will I keep the weight off this time? I don't know. However as my whole lifestyle has changed I am much more confident that I can

17. Way to go.
    Much respect. I only want to lose a stone and don't have the willpower to do it (but there is my mind not wanting to be anorexic again).
    You can be proud of yourself. That is an amazing achievement.

18. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Not sure I agree with you lotf. I think we have all got so used to seeing larger people that we just accept it as normal. I don't think humans are designed to be big - I think that we evolved when getting hold of high fat, high sugar food was difficult, and highly desirable (because the rest of the time we were surviving on the odd fish, and a handful of nuts and berries) - and I think that's why we want them so much. Unfortunately, in our age of plenty there are no limits to how much of the high energy-survival stuff we can have, so we have far too much adn get big. Just a theory.
    Havign said that, I was almost half a stone lighter last summer than I am this summer, and although I enjoyed being htat slim, I found it impossible to keep there and eat, not what I was eating before, but without having to think about it all the time. i don't really want to live like that, and I tell myself that I'd rather be fatter and look younger than thinner and look old and scraggy! (that's what I tell myself anyway!!) And I certainly don't want to aim for the body of a pre-pubescent boy, either; I am a feminist, after all...!

19. Eat less, have more sex.

cyolba, fitness guru to the **** industry :)

20. I'm old, cyolba. When I was young I would have sex only slightly less often than I would eat. At 54, if I applied that regimen, I would either die of starvation within a month or Mr L would have to give up work out of sheer exhaustion.