1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone please suggest a year 5/6 book to teach through English?

Discussion in 'Teaching & Learning' started by kirstylaurawilliamson, Jul 11, 2020.

1. kirstylaurawilliamson

kirstylaurawilliamson New commenter

I am looking to find a class text which can help to inform the planning of English. I am looking for something that has depth to it which will allow me to cover a range of genres and be inspiring to the children. Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you in advance!

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It sometimes helps to link it to your topic.

4. handee2

handee2 New commenter

I agree with last commentator- link with topic, However, Holes by Louis Sachar always goes down well and I have done Once by Morris Gleitzmann to link with WW2 topic. I think the trick is to enjoy the book too.

5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

The Giver by Lois Lowry blows my mind every time.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  6. georgiatestpreparation

georgiatestpreparation New commenter

7. Catsoup

Catsoup New commenter

I can thouroughly recommend Shackleton's Journey picture book for older readers. There is some planning for this on CLPE website too.

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Boy in striped pyjamas.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Definitely link to class theme or topic. Can recommend The Breadwinner - inspired some great writing.

10. numbersense

numbersense New commenter

Agree to link to topic. Rather than using a scheme, it's best to identify gaps and plan for pupil needs. Using great texts helps to inspire pupils but the teaching should reflect their needs.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  11. Felhatius

Felhatius New commenter