1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by polly2, Jun 19, 2019.

1. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Hello again,

I am so out of practice with interview bits and bobs so I am sorry I keep asking questions. I have an interview in a few weeks which I am trying to prepare for but part of it is a presentation. I have delivered staff meetings, lessons of course but this feels different and just a tad scary. I have checked that I have IT access and I do but the computer will be an apple mac. I don't have a mac. Does anyone know about saving presentations in mac format? I also wondered if anyone has any presentation tips - I struggle with nerves and I am terrified I talk at a thousand miles per hour. The presentation is about why safeguarding is so important. I so far have said the obvious - we spend lots of time with children and we can spot the signs, we are protecting vulnerable members of our society etc but I was also thinking of discussing the childrens charter, how we can educate in order to protect. Am I missing anything glaringly obvious? I confess I am blanking a lot because I am scared! Thank you as always for your support.

2. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I’m probably saying the obvious, but:

Make sure your presentation has the things you need for impact, not lots of things they could read for themselves. Simple statistics are always good:

‘X many children were murdered last year’

Take a breather occasionally - ‘ I’ll just give that a moment to think about that.’ This helps you keep the pace down, it stops the runaway horse effect where our words just tumble out over ourselves. And it’s a great way of emphasising a key point. As is repeating it, slowly.

I would also be inclined to take a slightly controversial approach and emphasise that these murders may have been committed by the parents, but they were ‘caused’ by the system, which is us. When we turn a blind eye, or give a parent the benefit of the doubt, this is what happens.

If you can find a very recent case that they do not know about, that’s also attention grabbing.

Don’t worry about the technology, that’s just there as a tool. MACs are really just PCs with a turtleneck.

Best of luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Thank you. You made me smile - do we know each other as you sound like you know me! My words tumble out at the speed of light! However I was pleased with what you said about controversy. I am going to discuss some difficult cases I have found and their failures. Then I cam here and read your comment. It was almost a relief! Someone else is thinking in my way too!