1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help this English teacher plese?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by figgins, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I have a few lower sixth who are not planning on doing English next year but need to be in my lessons until the end of this one. We are doing an introduction to the gothic and are looking at extracts from a variety of classic gothic texts plus each one will be researching a particular aspect e.g. the sublime. Can anyone suggest an area of research for someone going on to Maths, Further Maths and Physics A2? It would be nice for this student to do something of interest or use to him next year.
    Many thanks! F.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Simon Singh's book The Code Book would be an interesting one to read and do further research on. Simon Singh has a website which provides further materials so your student could practise some of the skills discussed in the book.
    It sprang to mind because it starts with looking at use of codes to decipher texts in ancient languages so there is a bit of a fit.

3. mathman64

mathman64 New commenter

How about asking them to model various arch shapes using the graphs of polynomials. Or research how arches transfer loads onto their supporting columns. Gothic arches of course!

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Simon Singh's book is ok and would contribute to broadening their understanding. Investigating Gothic archs - well that would be difficult within an English classroom environment.
    I would simply suggest they bring along their A Level maths book and get some work done - simlar to what they must be being given by their maths teacher or even allow them to do their homework.