1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can anyone help me with lesson ideas to motivate a tough year 6 class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsb1234, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello, I am a PGCE student and I am shortly starting a 4 week placement with a tough year 6 class in a fairly deprived area where the ratio of boys to girls is 3:1. Over half the class is on the SEN register and some of the chilldren have pretty rotten home lives. There are lots of football loving alpha males and I want to do my best to get them to use their energy in a positive way. Has anyone got had any advice for an engaging project I could do with them? There is lots of outside space and the school has good ICT facilities. The teacher is very supportive and happy for me to try out new ideas. They are just finishing off WW2 which they have enjoyed. Thanks very much.

2. Hello, I am a PGCE student and I am shortly starting a 4 week placement with a tough year 6 class in a fairly deprived area where the ratio of boys to girls is 3:1. Over half the class is on the SEN register and some of the chilldren have pretty rotten home lives. There are lots of football loving alpha males and I want to do my best to get them to use their energy in a positive way. Has anyone got had any advice for an engaging project I could do with them? There is lots of outside space and the school has good ICT facilities. The teacher is very supportive and happy for me to try out new ideas. They are just finishing off WW2 which they have enjoyed. Thanks very much.

3. I have similar boys in my class (though not such a boy heavy ratio) from tough backgrounds. I've had success with cross curricular Macbeth theme. The boys loved the murder, fighting and revenge while the girls loved the Lady Macbeth role. Loads of literacy, drama, art, music and ICT (digi blue from playscripts). We used the Andrew Matthews/Tony Ross book as a way in before we looked at the language in the 'Shakespeare's stories' DVD.
    Was worried before teaching as wasn't sure how it would go down but they seemed really taken by it. They even wanted to read other plays in their spare time! Fits well with the Tudors for even more gruesome work.

4. Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I like the idea of the different strands appealing to boys and girls which is one of the things I have been worrying about. I'm going to have a look at the resources you have mentioned now.

5. What about film making? Addresses analytical thinking, ICT, speaking & listening and creativity

Get them into groups of three or four - no more. Plan a film about the school. Use camera to film each other talking about it, showing what there is in different locations etc -l have lots of stops and starts, no panning. Use Movie maker to collect clips together and edit out. Share and peer evaluate.

The use skills and learning to create Instruction films .. how to make a sandwich, toast, a pop=-up birthday card, a paper aeroplane etc.

Have samples you can see if you want .

All you need are digital cameras for each goupr andMovie makes installed on suite PCs.

6. Hi,

It's tough when you have a class like that but at least. Your trying something different.

For the last few years I have worked on animation projects the kids love it.

Last year was 2D with P2 on our book study.

And when I had P7 we used clay modelling & I let them choice the characters.

Its really easy to do all the software us free on the comp all you need is an ok digital camera.

Good luck

7. If that was a reply to me you will have to email me at gertie .... at ... grumbles ... dot .... me.. dot ... uk

so that I have an email address to send samples to!!

8. peepo

peepo New commenter

'And when I had P7 we used clay modelling & I let them choice the characters.

Its really easy to do all the software us free on the comp '
    Hi
    What free software did you use for your animation project with clay models?
    Thanks

9. I've used Banksy with a tough year 6 group in the past, it was incredible - had them questioning whether graffitti was art or vandalism, considered viewpoints, discussed Monet's of present day, responsibility of looking after parks,they created their own tags, reworked famous pieces of art with a Banksy twist. Just be careful you preselect the art pieces as some are unsuitable for their age group but it was the best topic I ever taught. There's just so much and all pupils were completely enthralled- they got the idea of the aesthetic! Brilliant! Do it!

10. Can I see some of the planning because I was thinking of looking at something similar ? That's if you don't mind.

11. peepo

peepo New commenter

Message for elle-jay06
    please could you tell me what free software you used for clay modelling animation project
    thanks