1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can anyone help me start my essay on critical evaluations of the role of the senco please ?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Barbaratucker, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Barbaratucker

Barbaratucker New commenter

hi ,
    I've just begun the award and am struggling to get started with my essay as it's been 20 years since I was at uni!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have you looked at the paper Rosen - Webb ' No one tells you how to be a SENCO ' ? - available I think on the net ( if not I can access ). It may help you reflect initially on the complexity of the role ( s ) and the skill base required to address / impact on developing / improving provision.

Mermaid7 likes this.
  3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I've done my share of academic writing over the years, some of it delivered at conferences, some published as articles and book chapters, and I'm not afraid to admit that a dose of writer's block can affect me too. I find, though, that exposure to some irritant can get the creative juices flowing. If you search online, you're bound to find some outrageous comments made about children with SEN, and dare I say it, SENCOs too. That may suffice to get you annoyed enough to respond, and off you go. Remember that an oyster doesn't naturally produce a pearl. It needs a bit of grit to rub it up the wrong way before beginning the process of pearl making.

Or choose a topic reflecting your interests and experience. You don't say whether you're working in primary or secondary. I worked for many years in my secondary school SEN department after spending many years teaching MFL. I was never a SENCO, but when working with one, I began to see how the subject teacher begins with the subject, while the SEN teacher begins with the learner and the best results obtain when the two combine their efforts seamlessly and effectively in the interests of students and their educational potential. Much is made of the SENCO passing information and advice to subject-teaching colleagues. A more neglected area, perhaps, is what the SENCO does to "go that second mile" and understand better the difficulties subject teachers, particularly those who teach subjects other than English and Maths, experience when trying to reconcile the demands of their subjects with the entitlement of every student to be included in all areas of the curriculum regardless of the intellectual, social, physical, medical, sensory or any other challenges they face. Food for thought?